Thread: Starter problem

Tbigrat
    I can seem to start my big block. I put a Tilton high torque starter in 4 years ago. But last summer it got wet but it still started. I put in a new battery and I get 13.6 volts at the starter.
    But it does not crank over. I manualy turn engine over by crank socket, turns easy. I was just wondering if the starter is frozen or rusted inside any ideas. And if I should replace it with a marine unit , and if so what kind. I have a 454 60 over and 1/4 stroke 6.385 rods and 11.1 compression (496) Please help Thank You Tony

Tony,
    It's likely your Tilton has water damage. You could have Tilton rebuild it but they charge alot and it's really not worth it for a Tilton IMO.
    Here's a link to a very recent thread on starters that may help you decide what starter to get. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Starter Link
    [ May 24, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Tahiti Owner
    I used to have a problem with my starter too. With a set of jumper cables it would turn over no problem, but on it's own it was slow turning. The cables were new so I was kinda dumbfounded by it. An electrician friend thought maybe it was not grounded properly so i bought a heavy duty ground strap and attached it from the started case right to the block. I have not had a problem since.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I would pull it apart and see what is going on. A starter is pretty simple to take apart. I would think the armature is just dirty or corroded.
    It doesn't work now so what do you have to loose?
    Plan B I will buy it from you.... wink

HammerDown
    I'd take that puppy apart...more than likely it's just corroded up.