Thread: Need a brief explanation on oil coolers install.

Hollis
    Can somebody please explain in a nutshell where and how to install an oil cooler on a 460..?
    It seems it would be a good investment.
    [ July 27, 2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Hollis ]

CoastGuardSteve
    You will need to get a block adapter, a remote filter mount (both billet pieces), and an oil cooler. Use -10 hose and fittings for your oil lines and you should be good to go! I just ordered an oil cooler on Friday from a place that I found on the web, it cost me $87 with shipping and handling. The one that I ordered has a 2" x 15" core. Here is the link:
    www.i-netmarine.com
    Have fun,
    Steve

Hollis
    Thanks Steve, You mentioned Using -10 hose and fittings for my oil lines. I don't know what -10 means. frown

wideopen545
    10 means 12 id hose use steel brade its good with pressure and try www.danolsen.com they have very good coolers they mount to the block and if you need they have a remote filter setup also

Banshee
    Wow! a good link for oil coolers. I was looking at them on Eddie Marine’s site. One thing I like about the one’s on Eddie’s site is that they have pipe threads for water connections instead of hose barbs and you can get them with chrome plating for about 15 bucks more -not bad. Here’s the link: http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/cata...me=Oil+Coolers

Banshee
    One more thing. If I add an oil cooler to my rig I think I’m going to try adding an oil cooler thermostat. Should help get the oil up to normal operating temp faster. With a cooler and no thermostat I can only wonder how long it would take for the oil to warm up. Of course one good romp on the throttle would also do the trick, but then your doing it with cold oil. Here’s a link:
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...34&prmenbr=361