Thread: Battery Question

GottaJet
    Hello boys and girls...I just had a quick question?? What should I look for when buying a deep cycle marine battery? I've got a big block ford and no accessories to speak of, i.e. thumping system or anything like that..How many cca cold cranking amps should I look for?? Any light you can shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated Thanks GJ.....

Well, if you arent running any other accessories then I would stay away from a deep cycle battery. They are meant to be drawn down and then charged back up and if you dont cycle it like that then you will loose life in the battery. I would just get a good quality starting battery and that will suit your needs just fine. I use Excide Orbitals because they are sealed and create no mess at all but the are around $120.00. Hope that helps.
    F.J.

Like he said stay away from deep cycle if you're not going to "deep cycle" it with accessories. I prefer the optimas myself. Interstates have worked well for us also.

77charger
    When i had a jet that needed lots of cranking amps i went to walmart and bought the group 24 with the most cranking amps i think near 900.Anyhow it was identical to a die hard just a different color and name on it(found inside info about this).Was around 50-60 bucks too wink .did the job well and it still does according to my brother who now owns the boat.about 3 years old

TexasJet
    I have heard that a battery labled "marine battery" is built a little bit different than a car battery. It's supposed to take the pounding it may get from the rough ride in a boat. 750 to 900 CCA should be plenty for a stock motor. Just as important is the cables to the starter and ground. Make sure they are clean at both ends. If you buy new cables, get the thickest you can find.

Floored
    I've been running a $29.00 dollar wal-mart everstart for 3 yrs now and haven't even put a charger on it, but its only starting an olds. my longest cable is maybe 2ft and running the single wire alt setup. it only takes a bump to start my engine though, so that helps.

GottaJet
    Thanks for the info guys!! Looks like I need a good starting battery. You guys just just saved me about fifty bucks and more frustration!! P.S. does anyone else have problems with battery life due to that river heat???? THANKS GJ...