Thread: Installing a 455

ole war horse
    I am putting my 455 back in the boat and going from a three point mount to a four point because the oil pan is larger and what do I look for on algining the the motor to the pump and how would be a good way to check and see if it is correct or not. Thanks guys.......

mtnspan
    I used a magnetic angle indicator that I bought from Harbor Freight for about 4 bucks. Bolt your mounts up, set the motor in, put the angle indicator on the u-joint's, set your angle to between 2-4 degree's. Mark your holes in the stringers for the new mounts, pull everything out and drill your new holes.Fill the old holes with a 3/8" dowel and glass them over.It worked for me!

Robert Helton
    I put a Dooley 10qt on my olds over last winter I had a three point mount. Dont know what kind you have but mine had a 1/8 inch thick 3 inch wide strap between the mounts. I cut if off, because that strap would definateley not keep the motor from falling into the bilge. I also reinforced the mounts on the stringer from the outside with some angle and have had no problems whatsoever. Good Luck.

Leather&Lace455
    I'm currently running a 3-point with my Olds which has a cross-member between the stringers.
    What type of motor-mounts did or do you have i.e. solid mounts vs rubber mounts? I currently have
    rubber mounts and was planning to fabricate solid
    mounts this winter.

mtnspan
    I have a four point mount (bell housing and front plate) that I'll sell cheap. Let me know if interested.Have some other Olds parts too!

ole war horse
    Lace, What I took out is the same type motor mounts you now have and I put on a larger oil pan and the engine mount which has a cross member from one stringer to the other will be in the way of the pan, so I am puting in a 4 point mount which is a plate that bolts on the front of the motor and has legs that will reach to each stringer and on the back you replace the bell housing with one that also has legs that will reach each stringer and my problem is I am not quite sure how to align the engine to the pump so there will be no strain on the U joints.

sandsnake
    mtnspan:
    I have a four point mount (bell housing and front plate) that I'll sell cheap. Let me know if interested.Have some other Olds parts too!Mtnspan, Will these mounts fit a 454 chevy(BBC)and how much are you asking for them?

squirts
    I dont know where you are located at but look for boat places in your area for a tool that will align your motor with your pump. I rented one and it was trick. It consisted of two housing that you bolt your motor mounts and bellhousing to. On the end of an adjustable shaft was a spline that matched up to the pump. All you did was measure from the block to the spline set the shaft to the same length lower into the stringers and drill. If your in Calif. drop me a line and I will hook you up. Good luck