Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBF problem - low rpm

mikey-jones
    setup is a 1970 16' tahiti schuster a big block ford 430 with bayjet. problem is the motor will not get past about 4200 rpm no matter how long i hold it wide open. at wide open trottle the fuel pressure gauge is reading about 3 - 4 psi could this be a problem? or could it be the jet, is bayjet an alright jet or should i get a berk?
    the boat topped out at about 60 mph at 4200 rpm on decent water, is this setup capable of more than 60 mph? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks..

spectras only
    I assume you've got the 430 Lincoln engine.If you have only 3-4 psi fuel pressure, that's too low at WOT.You should have at least 5-6 psi .BBF's are thirsty blocks.4200RPM is low for that engine.The 430 is a 10:1 comp short stroke engine and should rev at least 4700. A 16' Tahiti should be able to run 60MPH with a hotrod lincoln wink definitely !

mikey-jones
    thanks for the info spectras only, from my understanding this 430 is out of a late fifties thunderbird. i also thought it was a hot rod lincoln wink but after further research i came to the conclusion it was a thunderbird motor. i dont know the exact differences from the lincoln 430 but im sure there is a couple. maybe you could let me know

homeblt86jet
    It sound like you have an"fe" series block they are good but i have a question. do you have an elec. or manual fuel pump? If elec. what is your fuel pres. at idle. with no wot. it should be about 7.5 psi wot should be no lower than 6.2.....If it is manual or I should say "mechanical" it should never be below 6psi.

mikey-jones
    i have a electric fuel pump just one of those cheap ol universal ones , its brand new and at idle its pushin anywhere between 5.5 and 6 psi

spectras only
    Mikey, the 58 T-birds came with a 352 cu engine and the 430 was an option.This 430 is the same as the lincoln engine .It was rated at 350 HP SAE.The sixties 430 engines were rated at 320 HP.Your 430 has a close HP rating to the 429 Fords of the late 70's with 365 HP on tap.The stroke on the 430 was between the 429 and 460's at 3.70 .So the torque should be close to 500 foot lbs ,like the 460 with 3.85 stroke, which is great for a jet with large impellers.

homeblt86jet
    well that would be fine if it was a street car but a jet boat requires much more fuel. a street car can run fine on that fuel pressure. but a jrt spends more time wot.if you have a regulator open it up. without the motor running put just over 7psi on it make sure that you have the level screws out to make sure that the floats are holding.then in water only!!!!! after puting the sight screws back in .open her up and see what the fuel preasure drop is .if it drops below 6.5 psi. get a bigger fuel pump...... this has ben my experiance.not to step on anybodies feet or any thing.. just food for thought......sorry about the essa.

homeblt86jet
    and anoter thing check your timming. i am just triyng to help out

mikey-jones
    thanks a bunch homeblt86jet and spectras only, all your information is great and appreciated very much if you think of anything else dont hesitate to let me know. im gonna mess with the timing and also get a new fuel pump and give her a couple test runs this weekend so i will let you know how it goes..

greg shoemaker
    4200 and 60 mph is very good return on speed . You might wnat to check your tach for an accurate reading. If the engine has the stock timing chain chande it to an early model and tha will advance the cam 8 degree's and this will certianlly give you an increase on the top end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast