Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Base Coat/ Clear Coat On a Boat?

Ranz1
    I would like to see those myself

wineguy069
    My boat has that signature 70's fake wood paneling. Can this be removed or painted over?

I guess I could leave it and name it "Love Boat" or "Groovy"

spectras only
    I had my boat painted with two part paint " endura" .It seems to take the same abuse as gelcoat if you know what I mean wink .
    [ July 25, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

oldphart
    My daycruiser looked just like that, fake wood and all. The woodgrain is under the jellcoat. Just sand it well at the transition lines and a two part urethane will work well. Mine had a textured finish around the top so I had to be real careful there

Shot my 26' Sleekcraft this winter. Used PPG's top of the line single coat paint and three coats of clear.
    Started with 200 grit and worked up to 1000. One recommendation, a damn big one. Do not use plain masking tape, use only the blue masking tape that most quality paint dealers sell, it is expensive, but you'll avoid the nightmare from hell when it comes time to remove and shoot the next color. I only needed about 15' more feet and ran out, and thought why not. Well, I invented cuss words for the next two hours and wound up redoing this entire area because of the glue used on the standard masking sticking to the deck, the pale white roll.
    Total cost (minus my labor), ~$500.

scorpionking
    i paint cars and boats for a living here in the midwest. as long as the boat is properly preped and sanded a basecoat/clearcoat paintjob will hold up to most abuse,everyone says it chips,well,ram your gelcoat into a dock and see what happens. the important part is prepare the surface properly,and use a good paint brand. i have boats that get abused here in the midwest on gravel rivers,lakes etc, i have never had a boat comeback because of a peeling problem, in fact, i have offshore boats that are in florida with 8 yearold paintjobs that never leave saltwater that still look as good as the day i painted them. the better clears today have a far better uv protection than most of the gelcoats out there,they wont get dull or fade. plus in my opinion basecoat is far easier to work with than gelcoat,it flows out like glass if applied properly,and buffs very easily. plus its easy as heck to do spot repairs if you do beat it up. the photo is of my new eagle steptech i just got done painting. [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/479IM000011-med.jpg[/img]

LakesOnly
    I shot Imron for years, too.
    ScorpionKing, you forgot to mention that a flex agent can be added to the paint before application.
    LO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12