Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto bilge pump

clownpuncher
    I'm thinking of replacing my manual bilge with an automatic.
    1 Any input on brands and size?
    2 Pro's and con's?
    3 Ease of install?
    4 Should I instal one and keep my switch activated one too?
    This will be for an 18 foot Challenger. Thanks in advance
    [ May 31, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

GlastronGuy
    I have an auto but I only use it manually. I am afraid it will come on when the fish cop is talking to me and with my luck I will have sprung an oil leak 2 minutes before. I am also worried that when docked it will get stuck on and kill the battery. Of course, I quess that's better than sinking.

Cas
    Put one in one of my boats 3+ years ago and it works great.
    I'm going to be adding one in the other boat very shortly.
    As far as installation, it's real easy. All you do is wire one lead of the float to a 12v source and the other lead to the + side of the pump. The negative side of the pump goes to ground....all done.

JetBoatRich
    Mine is both manual and auto, never a problem. wink I recommend this setup. If you have a engine hatch you like the security of water getting pumped out before it is to late when you notice. (as long as it isn't to much water) devil

77charger
    I had a rule auto 500 it is a newer one and is a one piece unit w/ only two wires compared to three.Once you turn it on it cycles for a second or two.If it senses a load it will continue to stay on til the load drops. i f left on It cycles every 3-5 min(if i remember correctly)If no water it shuts off really fast.It is the best auto pump i have used and highly recomend this one(my boss also runs them for the flatbottom and is happy with them also
    One thing to avoid are the separate bilge pump floats that connect to the pump or mount in a separate spot then wire to the pump.they seem to fail alot.

DUCKY
    My Dad got an Attwood "Sahara" pump at Walmart for about $40. It has an internal float for auto use and is also switchable. It works great! I already bought one for my boat.

HBjet
    Cheap Insurance!
    I have the one piece unit too and it's the best. You can turn off the auto portion of it or just let it be. When the batteries are on, so is the pump. I've never had it stick on, but I do switch over to one battery when I leave the boat in the water overnight. So, if it does stay on all night, I still have a good battery!
    I say get one and you will wish you did sooner. Also, get the one piece unit. You will be happy.
    HBjet
    [ May 31, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

hey randy are you doin the i.e. lake in the morn? todd

SeaSlut
    I use the Rule Auto 500. What I would like is to be able to have a light on the dash that would come on when the pump is in auto mode.
    i.e. is the light stays on for a long time, you might want to check the bilge.

Mohavekid
    Good idea to run an automatic pump.
    I have one manual and one automatic with a built in float switch (Mayfair I think). Works great and no problems after several years of use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast