Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint vs. Gel ? Input needed.

Hemicbx
    I need some input regarding painted boats. While hunting for a jet, I’m coming across quite a few that have been custom painted and I understand this due to age and some of the original color schemes.
    I have very little technical backing for what I’m about to say, but I tend to think that gel coat is harder and much more suited to “rubbing” against the water and other wear & tear a boat hull sees. I’m not sure paint would be happy in that environment.
    I have recently heard of paint w/ clear gel on top. Can this be done and how does it compare?
    For all who have painted boats, I’m not trying to knock paint here, I’m just looking for facts. Any input would be apprecieated.
    Hemicbx

BrendellaJet
    There are some paints that will stand up to the abuse a boat receives-Someone will post names im sure...Gel is the best though. More durable, does not scratch as easily...
    oh yeah, try searching for "paint gel" im sure you will find this topic has been covered before. Also try Havasubarney.com - great fiberglass website...
    [ September 19, 2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: BrendellaJet ]

Jet City
    As Brendella said, there is much info a search with bring up on particulars. My last boat was paint over gel (an inexspensive acrylic enamel paintjob at that), it looked good, and held up fine for me. As far as I'm concearned, for a boat that only spends a day at the lake/river now and then, its a reasonable alternernative to a re-gel. I would add Awlgrip (ultra quality marine paint) Imron, Urethane, Acrylic Enamel to your search. As you will discover, there can be a big difference in how prep work and paint type will effect the over all qaulity and durability of any paint job.

hoolign
    stupid question
    do you have to remove the gel coat?or just prep it
    and paint it? I want to redo my cv-23 get rid of that bloody metal flake and either gel or paint it a solid colour of bright yellow

BrendellaJet
    I think it depends on the condition of the metal flake. Is it painted on? If so I would probably sand it all off, if its in the gel, I would rough it up with 80 grit and pray that is enough. If its just gel, sand it with 80 grit and shoot over it.
    [ September 19, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: BrendellaJet ]

hoolign
    I'm not sure if it is painted on,it's a factory carlson job,it's all original and in prettygood shape,I just don't like it.
    How could a guy tell if it is painted on?

BrendellaJet
    start sanding it with 80 grit. If its paint, it will come off pretty quick, and you will see a different color underneath. Is the whole boat the same color? If so its likely that the boat is all gel w/ metalflake.

hoolign
    well that's my winter project,so with some help from here and some luck it should be alright!
    thanx brendella

BrendellaJet
    Yeah, get started early on it if you plan to do it yourself. Im doing mine right now, and its taking a lot longer than I expected, but she will be done soon. Try the Havasubarney website too, hes great help and very knowledgeable.

brianwhiteboy
    I'm sanding my boat as we speak. It has paint of top of the original gel. I'm using a razor blade to scrape off the paint then using 80 grit to wet sand through the primer. It's a pain in the ass and it's messy.........but it's coming along. After a 3 or 4 hours of work, the deck is almost completly stripped down to the gel.....it just takes time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast