Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat buyers beware

Snorider
    Just wanted to let out a tip for all those looking to get into the jetboat market...
    I was lookin to upgrade my jet, and get a diff one.. well, i found a tahiti for sale, for 10,250... seemed reasonable, so i looked at it.
    At first glance, it was sweet, dark blue, flames on the hood, SBC powered, racing seats, polished pump and more.
    Then things didnt add up. Guy said it would do 75mph with a SBC pushing 450hp. It had tiny logs for an exhaust with a 650cfm edelbrock, and stock heads; this raised the first alarm.
    Second, it had a stock JC pump, no diverter, no jetovator, no wedge.
    Third, no speedometer - that should raise a flag.
    Nonetheless, i humored the guy and went for a ride. Upon acceleration, the thing would tach right up to 6000rpm, and stay there and the boat wouldn't move (cavitation like mad). The guy told me all jets do this "ya, right, i was thinking" - guess he didnt know i already new a lot about jet pumps
    Once it finally got going, the boat prolly tops out at about 40mph @ 6000rpm - signs of a shot pump sleeping
    I know the flames on the deck are good for about another 30mph on GPS, maybe he should have added a chrome waterneck to the intake, that should have made it 600hp at least!
    And to top it all off, the thing was backfiring coming back into the docks... At this point, i would keep my sleekcraft with its extremely burnt out 460, that has lots of blow-by, and the original 1978 paintjob.
    Anyways, buyers beware, and if it dont seem to add up, it prolly isnt. Looks arent everything.
    [ June 30, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

bordsmnj
    Did at least call bullshit on the guy? i would be pissed if he tried to pawn that crap off on me. 10K??!!!??!!WTF? i'm glad yuh didn't get burnt.

Snorider
    Actually, here was the sales pitch i got:
    "We really arent making out well here, but since you paid 4000 for your boat, ill take that and 6k to make the deal work" ... he continues... "We can buy running 60mph jets for $2000 all over"
    My question is where were they shopping? I want in on that action!
    [ June 30, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

lakesmodified
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Snorider:
    "We have can buy running 60mph jets for $2000 all over"
    WHAT????

Moneypitt
    I think there are safe guards in the automotive world against this sort of thing, but not so for boats. Its buyer beware. This guy not only needs to be called on his bullshit, he needs a good old fashion ass whooping!!!!!!!!..Moneypitt

King Kuracz
    Sounds like a GPS in the pocket would have put a dent in his BS. Would have loved to see the look on his face.
    And if he could buy running 60mph jets all over for 2k, why was he asking 10k for his?

HotHallet
    high as a Kite and needs to be smacked. If that guy told me my boat was only worth 4k I would deck him right in the face!

Duane
    the small block should have been a tip off, I wouldn't of wasted my time going for a ride. Looked at a boat the other day that was hammered, the guy keeps calling like I am a dumb--- or something. It was a super clean sanger jet, thats what he said on the phone, what a waste of time?

Moomawnster
    My Tahiti runs 60 mph @ 4k with a clapped out sbc[240hp] and diverter .... planes out in 20ft ....that pump ain't just loose .. ... its been shot for years ! eek!
    [ July 03, 2003, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

Snorider
    Moomawnster:
    My Tahiti runs 60 mph @ 4k with a clapped out sbc[240hp] and diverter .... planes out in 20ft ....that pump ain't just loose .. ... its been shot for years ! eek! I would believe that when i see it. If people could get a 240hp jet to 60mph, they would be a very popular boat, since they would actually get good fuel economy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast