Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retard 460

82SleekCraft
    In ***boat, Greg S. mentioned something about automotive 460s having a cam retarded by 8 degrees for emission purposes. He says that the retarding caused the engine to run hotter (for better emission). How does this get corrected for boating applications? I remember reading something about an adjustable sprocket or something. What do I expect to gain by correcting the cam timing? A cooler-running motor, obviously. But what else do I get for doing it? More power? If so, how much more on a stock motor? Thanks in advance.

jet4fun
    i would have to say that unless your engine came out of a factory ford vehicle, and has never been opened up... then you should not have to deal with that issue

victorfb
    not sure of the years, but i think it was pre 83 460 timing gears is what you want. you will gain both cooling and some HP with the older style timing gears. if you allready have them, then all you gain is a new timing set and the piece of mind that you dont have a stretched chain throwing off your timing. how old is the engine you have now, and has it been torn apart? and just because its been torn apart doesnt mean you get the older gear set. normally home builders dont know about the older gears and just buy a new set from a local auto store and install them. most likely the newer gear set. id pull the gears and chain and replace it with the older style or atleast check it. that way you know for sure.

Hallett19
    yeah, its retarded 8 degrees, to correct the problem go to Ford Motorsport and order their timing chain, it is marked for adjustability. Ben Alameda (Ford guru who built my motor) says it adds 40 HP.

Blown 472
    Or just get a chain for a 429

Jake W
    That is what I did bought a dubble gear and chain for a 429 the diffrence is noticable.
    Jake

Moneypitt
    TRW shows the same lower gear for 460 fords up through 78,(except police cars) But Lincoln/Mercury shows 68-71 were different than 72 on. If it is truly 8 degrees retarded in the later years, getting the cam back to straight up would really show an improvment. I'd go with the Ford Motorsports parts...My .02,,Moneypitt

Jet City
    I believe MoneyPitt is on the money, its pre '72 that used straight up timing set and post '72 that was retarded. I'm not sure if the post '72 marine engines where retarded or not. Any of the good quality aftermarket dual roller timing sets (Edelbrock, Comp, Cloyes, etc.) are straight up , they also give options for advance or retard (3 key slots on crank gear). I went with the Edelbrock unit, its a very nice unit and if I remember right, cost about $65.

Jake W
    The 429 takes the 8 deg retard out and you only goes on one way line up the marks why would you want to mess with finding witch mark it is?He said he wants to take out the 8 deg so why not do it the easy way?mabey I am missing something with the other gears from Edb or what ever it is with the 3 difrent markes please explane what the deal is with that?Thanks Jake

82SleekCraft
    Blown 472:
    Or just get a chain for a 429 Kindly explain why the 460 is retarded (no pun intended) but the 429 is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast