Thread: Alternator question.....

DickDanger
    Okay, heres the scoop. Somewhere between the alternator and the battery, there is a problem,constant battery drain. I have a 4 month old Optima battery, have pulled the alternator and had it tested, everything is fine there. If I start the day with 13 on the volt meter, by the end of the day it is between 10 and 11. Doesnt seem to matter how long the boat is run, whether it is 10 minutes, or an hour straight. Belt is tight as it should be. So, where do I go from here??? -DD Out

Cas
    Make sure all the connections are clean and corrosion free. Also check that there isn't a break in the alt wire. While you're at it, you should probably get the battery checked out, I had one go bad after a couple of months.

Hotcrusader76
    Dave,
    Somewhere in your electrical system there is a voltage drop that is trickling your battery down to nothing. I would ohm out your entire system. (this means every circuit!) Bilge wiring (one circuit) guages harness (another circuit) smell what I am cooking?
    Your alternator should be going to the starter positive, then the battery. It isn't a perfect type of routing, but it's what I see alot on boats around the river. Your starter could be draining you slowy...as long as there is a ground and positive, that solenoid on the starter could be leaking you out.
    So back to the basics (ohm out the system "continuity checks")...then troubleshoot the starter, battery (they do go bad...specially Sears Diehard batteries, I use to work the battery bay back in the day...I know!),then check your different components...maybe that fancey shut-off valve you got on your inlet from the jet to the cooling system. It might be in the on position...but you can't tell. If it got prematurely wet, this could happen.....Electrical woes...woes....woes....They can be nightmares!

BBTAHITI
    DD,
    If you are running a GM single wire alternator, check this out. http://www3.sympatico.ca/thartin/alt.htm
    BBT

greg shoemaker
    DD Did you just install new gauges recently? Like take out the amp and install a volt meter? Greg

DickDanger
    Greg, that is exactly what I did. Went from the amp meter to a volt meter. Also, it is the old delco marine alternator that has the one stud on the back for the wiring, instead of the stud and 2 pronged wiring harness. I rewired the alternator, changed belts, but beyond that, I dont know what else the problem could be. -DD Out

Hallett19
    if you are going from an amp meter to a volt meter can you take all the amp meter wiring out, there were a bunch of wires hooked up to it and I just put a small screw through them and taped them, but I want to get rid of them, what do I take out ?

BBTAHITI
    Hallett,
    Here's a wiring diagram of a typical volt meter and ammeter. You need 2 wires (excluding illumination) for the volt meter to work. Just a switched bat+ and a ground. The leftover wire from the ammeter (from the battery) can be disconnected from the battery,grounded, and used for the volt meter. CHECK THE CIRCUIT AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE YOU ARE USING THE RIGHT WIRE!
    For the volt meter: http://www.autometer.com/hp/instruct...tions/665h.pdf
    For the ammeter: http://www.autometer.com/hp/instruct...tions/642d.pdf
    BBT
    [This message has been edited by BBTAHITI (edited June 27, 2002).]