Thread: calcium deposits or water spots on alluminum?

jdog
    I recently pulled my boat out to get it ready for summer and after taking off the canvas cover,I noticed that my M/T valve covers, edelbrock performer manifold, and other alluminum parts have a white powdery substance and water spots from several months of backyard storage. It's obviously from rain water and some parts have some rust. I KNOW I SCREWED UP! But does any one know how to get this stuff off? I tried wet rag but only the surface powder comes off.
    Any suggestions? Thanks. Jay

miller19j
    If left outside unprotected Aluminum will oxidize. That is why a lot of aluminum parts are either powder coated or anodized. There is no easy way to clean that stuff of because it has attacked and changed the surface of the metal. The best thing to do is to have the polished parts repolished and the rough parts either sand or bead blasted. If you sand blast your intake make sure you clean it real well and get all the sand out before you install it!

Liberator TJ1984
    SSTSleekcraft just bought some Simple Green Water spot Remover in a concentrated form . Mix like 8:1 with water. His boat was not as bad as yours eek! but several of us were impressed with the way it worked . Last night just tried it on several spots and it worked good on all surfaces even tried a rag with vinegar on some water spots and the SG spanked it. It was only like 5 bucks for a quart of concentrate from Auto Zone. wink
    Gopherrr

jdog
    Thanks Liberator and Miller19. I will try the simple green first and see what happens.
    Thanks again. Jay