Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie pump question. Please help. I think I got screwed on a pump rebuild.

sidewound
    If your concerned about a build, check the shaft for slop and look at the impeller for wear. Pretty simple. Look at the seals. Do they look new? Lemme Know.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

GlastronGuy
    Wet Dream:
    But you can't run wide open for too long.
    Luckily this Olds only had to run for 7.7 seconds.
    http://www.zaxisracing.com/

Wet Dream
    I don't ever recommend a B for an Olds, unless you run restrictors, and don't use restricted pushrods. They cut the oil down too much for the springs.

BK
    Sounds like your tack may be off?

Jake W
    I would say that you would need to take off the back of the pump (Bowl) to rebuild it I would take it apart or at least the bowl and see if he put new bushings in the bowl and look at the shaft look for new seals and to se if the imp is new and sharp.Now what did you pay him to rebuild on the pump every thing or just some things?Jake

GlastronGuy
    Wet Dream:
    I'm running an Olds 455 and spin mine on an A impeller at 4800. How much timing and how fast is it?

IBEDAM4
    What does your invoice list as to the parts replacement????. Have you contacted the person that did the work????
    Don't take anything apart until you do this.
    Find someone with jet experience to give you a second opinion.
    GOOD LUCK

rmclague
    If you are in texas there is a good chance that you used Mikes pump and speed. If that is the case I can say if he said he did it then it got done. However if you used someone else there are a few things that you can check that might give you some hints.
    First if the boat is from texas it would have had more than a few nicks in the impellor, so get under the boat with a flashlight and look up into the intake grate. If the impellor was worked it will be nice and sharp with either fresh grinder marks or fresh paint.
    Second remove the hand hole cover and grab the shaft. any play indicates a worn pump and no rebuild. your style of pump could easily have been rebuilt by just pulling the bowl, as that is where all the work is done. I could go on but these things should get you started.
    Rob

Cas
    I'm with IBEDAM4 on this one. I'd try to get another opinion from another pump pro to get a diagnosis. As soon as you touch it, you will assume responsibility for anything that may be wrong, in their eyes.
    I also agree with the others that an AA impeller is too big for a stock 455.
    There are a couple of people I'd call to get more info.
    Jack @MPD (So CA)
    Duane @ Hi-Tech (KS)
    Walt @Walt's Hot Boat (No CA)
    Jim @ Performance Jet (No CA)
    I'm sure one of them can and will direct you in the right direction.

pops1
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Cas:
    [QB] sOUNDS TO ME LIKE ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CUT THE IMPELLER TO AN "A" THAT WILL PICK YOU UP 400 RPMs OR AN "A/B" THAT WILL PICK YOU UP 600 AS A GENERAL RULE. i DON'T KNOW HOW HARD YOU WANT TO TWIST A STOCK MOTOR FOR AN EXTRA 1 or 2 mph VS A EFFICIENT WORKING PUMP. iF YOU CRUISE A LOT- LEAVE IT BIGGER- YOUR FUEL CONSUMPTION WILL DROP AND SO WILL YOUR CRUISE RPMs- IF YOUR A HARD ON MAX OUT, PUT IT TO A "B" NOW YOUR UP 900 RPMs AND YOU GAINED 3 or 4mph BUT YOUR TWISTING YOUR MOTOR BEYOUND THE TORQUE CURVE AND TRYING TO MAKE HORSEPOWER DO THE JOB (AS YOUR TORQUE IS DROPPING OFF)! Good Luck! DAVE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast