Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: newbie pump question. Please help. I think I got screwed on a pump rebuild.

GlastronGuy
    pops1:
    IF YOUR A HARD ON MAX OUT, PUT IT TO A "B" NOW YOUR UP 900 RPMs AND YOU GAINED 3 or 4mph BUT YOUR TWISTING YOUR MOTOR BEYOUND THE TORQUE CURVE AND TRYING TO MAKE HORSEPOWER DO THE JOB (AS YOUR TORQUE IS DROPPING OFF)! Good Luck! DAVE Sounds like he's saying torque over hp.

Jake W
    That is true about taking the pump apart dont unless you know what you are doing.But it is not that hard if you ever do take it off it will spill the bowl oil and need to be replaced.You have some good advise hear on what to look for and feel.Good luck PS it is all ways better to know your pump inside and out.Jake

txboatnut
    Sidewound. I will look at the thing in the next day and see if I got a new impeller and see if there is slop in the shaft.
    Jake,
    I do not know how to take they bowl off but I will crawl under and see if it looks like I got a new impeller. I really do not see any seals from the out side but I am willing to look if you tell me where to look. I paid this guy 1848.32 for the whole thing. Since what I know about rebuilding a pump would fit in a thimbleThe reciept sayscomplete pump OH r+r engine and upholstrey replace both boots test run on hose. Which I wonder how they did that since I have no water hose T. Greas pump and ujoints.
    do not know how much timing. I do not have a timing light and there is not a timing pointer. I do have a friend that is a mechanic I can trust so I will have him look at it and let you know this weekend.
    rmclague,
    I was going to use Mike and heard some bad things and this other guy was reccomeneded to me buy someone who had him rebuild his pump. So since I did not want to drive to Houston 450 miles I thought I would use this guy. In hindsight I should have used Mike to be sure the work was done. I will look in the clean out and let you know what I see.
    Pops1,
    thanks for the info. I really did not want to turn a stock olds to high but thing I should atleast be able to get to 4500 rpm. This motor just would not go any farther than 3700rpm. But any higher and I guess I am pushing my luck.

txboatnut
    I forgot to say thanks to everyone that offered help. I really like this boat and want to take care of it. You guys gave me some things to look at and I will let you know what I find.
    Paul

Wet Dream
    Glastron, with this engine I'm at 32* timing and it gps'd at 55 before I let off. My only excuse for that is that the pump is pretty loose. This was with 2 people, full tanks and a few other things in there. My old 11.5:1 engine would spin that pump to 53000rpm, but I think thats what killed it.
    [ May 28, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

GlastronGuy
    Wet Dream:
    Glastron, with this engine I'm at 32* timing and it gps'd at 55 before I let off. My only excuse for that is that the pump is pretty loose. This was with 2 people, full tanks and a few other things in there. My old 11.5:1 engine would spin that pump to 53000rpm, but I think thats what killed it. I am running 32 total in a deep v, logs, Q-jet and E pump. 62 gps at 4200 - 4400 according to the tach. I think the tach may be off. The pump is tight and has an A impeller.
    Are you sure the pump is loose? 4800 is in the ballpark.

Wet Dream
    Galstron, I'm running a 19' bubbledeck, a 750 Holley, HEI and OT Bassetts. My pump has a lot of cavitation. It was my goal to get it rebuilt this winter, but other things took over. I will go through the engine and pump this winter and produce one hell of a Olds. I would think that if my pump were tight right now, it should lower the revs to about 4500 and have a litte more top end like you have.

txboatnut
    welp here is the update I promised you guys. I looked at the seal on the back of the bowl and it appears new. I looked at the impellor and am not so sure about it. It has some nics etc but I know the lake levels here have been really low so that does not suprise me. So I did check the bowl oil and it was full. I tried to move the shaft the impellor is on and it did not move. I could not check the timing because there is no timing pointer to check it with. I guess my pump was rebuilt after all. Still not sure about the impellor but I did take some pics of it if any one needs to see them. thanks for all the help and I am still open to suggestions.
    Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123