Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seems like alot of Jet Boats sink?

Bryan Rose
    Seems like a stupid question here, but why is this? I am new to jet boats and would like to take every precaution possible to prevent this. I know it is stupid but what is the main reason they sink? Best ways to prevent this? I bring this up only because I was over on another site and some one predicted three boat sinkings for OP6. what is up with that ? Please forgive my ignorance, new to jets not to boating...Help out the FNG here... argue argue

Bense468
    #1 thing to for before launching is the plug. Other then that its either transom adapter leaks, a hole in the bottom of your boat, or you take a big wave. If you are smart and pay attention you will limit your chance of these happening to a very slim margin.

Cas
    Bryan Rose:
    I know it is stupid but what is the main reason they sink? Best ways to prevent this? argue argue The main reason? you touched on it yourself....stupidity (and we've all been stupid at one time or another)
    Other than someone being new to boating, I think the biggest reason is just flat forgetting to do the things necessary to prevent sinking.
    ie: not putting the plug in, not facing the bow out when on the beach, not knowing how to hit a wave, etc.

Jet Hydro
    (and we've all been stupid at one time or another)
    No, Never...Not me....

hoolign
    It's easy...just don't install a splash gaurd, then slow down real fast,let the roller do the rest

Bryan Rose
    Thank for the replies guys, keep em coming.... Now if I can just figure out how to post pictures. followed the directions from the FAQ to no avail. help....

cave
    Bryan Rose
    If its not running right dont take chances out in the middle of the lake. Fix the problem then take it out. I had a new Biesemeyer that the factory Engine just wouldnt run right. As I was new to jet boats I took it out and the motor stopped. I was in the middle of the lake Waahlaa Instant roller from a Malibu. No chance to save it. No one told me they hate jetboaters at The lake I go to. If it aint working keep it out of the water. Fix it. then go jetting wink
    Check your hoses. Make sure there in good shape Dont want one to blow in the boat.
    cave
    [ June 20, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: cave ]

Taylor LP
    And if you have an E/F pump, make sure the accordion boots on the steering / control cables are in good condition and not torn.

Snorider
    Another tip to keep from sinking: DO NOT drop the reverse gate at any speeds above idle... If you do this, it will do one of 2 things:
    1.) Break your reverse nozzle
    2.) Stuff the bow of the boat and fill it with water.
    (Either one is bad... unless its really hot out)
    And once you get to know the boat, you will be better at it. Personally, i know my boat will sink if i leave it in the lake for about 3 days straight. 2 days, its fine (after a lot of bilge pumping). After that, it starts to get to the point where the blower vents are near water level. Usually leaks from the shift cable.
    [ June 20, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

Bryan Rose
    Like I said not new to boating but new to JETS... I went through the boat and glassed up the holes left in the boat by the retard who I got it from who put screws through the bottom to mount the seats etc ... I went through it it to find any holes that I thought would be a problem found a few. Also i went underneath at the grate and sealed it up at the pick up with some marine sealant, I dug out all the old caulk and began to fill it in with new marine grade sealant... hope it holds? Also made sure the bilge pump was fully operational and all seems well. Just do not want to go out and sink it right off the bat, after a few no problem it is insured.The boat is solid and I know it does not leak but want to make sure I am not overlooking anything, Boat comes back from the interior shop on wednesday and off to the lake on Friday , Keeping fingers crossed... I have done all I think I can do. I have one other ? the pump bowl is filled with grease , what is the best way to get rid of the grease and get gear oil in it with out pulling the bowl? or do I have to do this?Who can I email pics to to post? I can't get my computer to work right with images , something about the wife and a new router not working properly with images? argue argue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast