Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 460 oil with water

LakesOnly
    Ray Hamel:
    ...460 Ford...This engine has always run great...for six years...but has developed water in the oil....winterized it last fall some of the RV antifreeze was leaking into the hull,. Twenty bucks says it's the front cover or a freeze plug. Period.
    LO

LakesOnly
    Ray Hamel:
    ONE MORE QUESTION: Has anyone removed the valley pan from under the intake?? What problems can I expedt from this decision? Ford 429/460's don't have this....
    LO

Actually mine had a valley pan in it when I bought it. When I made the switch from the Edelbrock Torker over to my Weiand Stealth and needed a gasket set, every parts store in town was trying to sell me the gasket set with the valley pan setup (that's what their computers showed as the replacement). Needless to say, I kept looking and eventually found the Felpro set I needed.
    [ August 22, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

The early automotive 385s had valley pans. Truck and marine 460s had conventional gaskets. When getting intake gaskets from the highly knowledgable staff at Pep Boys or Kragen, tell them it's for a 72 truck. (That'll keep them from straining their brains)

Yeah, that's where I probably went wrong. I kept telling em it was a 1976. To be honest, I'm not sure where the motor came from........if it was the original in the boat, had been changed at some point in time or what. Could even be that someone had changed the intake previously and just used the valley pan type gasket. Who knows?
    With any luck at all.............it'll be a few years before I'll need to buy another gasket set for it!
    [ August 22, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Jet City
    It sounds like you have a good plan there. I also had part stores trying to tell me I needed a turkey tray with the intake kit, the Mr. Gasket ultra intake kit is the best way to go IMO (w/o the turkey tray). Just run a light bead of silicone around the water ports. I also have had no problems using the rubber end peices that come with the gasket kit, just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry, then a dab of silicone in the corners where the rubber meets the gaskets, you might also want to block off the heat riser ports while your at it, it will burn through the gasket in short order, a piece of .01-.015 shim stock cut to size will work fine (this goes between the head and gasket). I use clear silicone, works fine and doesn't look like crap when done.

Ray Hamel
    Hey Rebel,
    I like that idea! I didn't realize that exaust port was for the deleted heat riser. Thought it was to balance exaust impusle (or some crazy engineering thing). I was afraid that eliminating the "turkey pan" would cause increased oil temperatures!!!! That shim trick will ease my feeble brain. Thanks for the tip.

KONAKID
    Hey all, I am new to the board but have had my jetboat for years. I run a Glen-L rampage hull with a 460 12JG/Jetovator and I am a rare jetboat guy from the great white north(Toronto)
    I recently had a piston break and had to do a teardown. My engine guy who doesn't know tons about Fords(but does have a sharp eye) noticed the timing cover didn't look right to him. In fact it had corrodded through in an area that I am sure others have refered too already. There is a pocket that is not supposed to be full of water but if it corrodes through it will be, this will allow water to enter the engine through the timing chain area. I had another cover which had the fuel pump boss broken and I looked at this one for comparison. It wasn't all the way through but the casting was VERY thin in this area(it was never in a boat)
    I simply sandblasted this cavity, dropped in a layer of carbon fibre cloth and filled it with epoxy. I don't expect any problems with it now

If your 460 is apart or leaking water somewhere I would definatly check this area. You'll know where it is the second you pop off the cover. Its right beside the right hand block passage if I recall.
    Cheers
    Hey does anybody have a pic of where the corrosion takes place?? im getting a good amount of water in the engine.
    head gaskets fine, but i did have some water in the pocket that shouldnt have water in it(timing cover) but i dont see any hole or major corrosion.

KONAKID
    I didnt realize new covers were so cheap,, im just going buy a new one..
    would like a pic of were they leak at if anybody has one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234