Thread: MOTOR MOUNT RAIL KIT

Nubbs
    What's the benefits of mounting the motor with a rail kit instead of using a standard 4 point kit?
    Thanks

Bense468
    First off they look bitchen, second you can slide the motor forward and unbolt the pump. Third it is just a better setup. It makes for easy removal of the motor, espically if you go to 1 wire alt and the quick disconnect on the starter etc.

I agree with what Bense said all the way. I converted mine last year and it was the best thing I ever did. I had to redo some stuff to make it work, but it was worth it. My rails are the cheapo $35.00 a piece ones, not the $700 set with all the goodies, but they work just fine. I can pull my motor in about a half hour now. It's sturdier than the four point was and I noticed when I pulled the old mounts apart, I had about a 3" crack in the front one. Checked my buddies out and his is the same. I'd say that if you're thinking about it........make it happen. You'll be glad ya did.
    Here's a link of some of the stuff I went through. Oh yeah the PVC trick to align the motor didn't work so well. It's best if you use the motor to do it. Also I ended up cutting more rail away so that I could get the starter in and out.
    Rail conversion
    [ April 16, 2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Nubbs
    Thanks for the info. The link was bitchin.

Jake W
    Hey Dan do you think a Tilton starter would help save space at all?I love that pic of your boat ,now if I could just get my Kachina in the water.Jake

Jake W
    Dan you out there brotha,Jake

mud duck
    I saw these rails in Duane's shop at HTP that were huge. He said (I hope I have this right) that they run from the transom forward connecting the pump, motor and even the drivers seat together. They were probably over seven feet long. Cool! Maybe wouldn't work for a regular recreational sport boat, but still cool.

Hey Jake.
    I haven't seen a tilton or any other gear reduction starter up close so It'd be hard to say. It looks to be smaller as far as the motor/solenoid goes, but the mount looks huge. I don't think I'd have room for all the extra metal on mine cuz the full size starter I have now, is butted right up against the rail and pillow block. I thought long and hard about getting one, but that was my main concern.
    Thanks for the compliment on the picture. The guy that tooks those really got some nice action stuff. Lots of the other guys got caught doing similar antics.
    I purchased a couple blown up ones and you should see my kid's face. It was pretty rough in that one area and I gotta admit, my knuckles were white.
    [ April 23, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

hack job
    hey dan i bought a powermaster( same as a tilton and we will see how it works out and ill let you know! it seems a lot smaller than the stock starter and its a bit stronger and it looks sweet. wink

Yeah, that'd be great. If it works for ya, I'll get one the next time I need a starter. Thanks Tyson.