Thread: Warped Logs?

mgar_red
    Need some advice. Recently acquired jet has Indmar 460 stock setup. No. 1 and 5 ports ( both front sides ) are blowing out my gaskets to the Indmar water logs. Is there a reason why it would happen on the front cylinders only and not any of the others? Engine never overheats, and logs are cool to touch when warmed up. I tried stock gaskets, as I had read in somebodies post, and moved to Mr Gasket Ultra Seal. Still having problem at top edge on both sides. Does this tatteltale them being warped? If so, is it an expensive fix at the machine shop, or not that bad? I'm taking into account cost of replacement must be up there. Thanks for the help.
    mgar

Moneypitt
    Machine shop labor prices vary from area to area, so you'll have to shop around. Phone them and ask about having the exhaust log flanges trued up. If they don't seem to know what you're talking about, thank them and move on. A bad job can put you in the search for replacements. Here in so cal, I would guess the cost would be around $100-125. to mill them flat and straight to each other...Don't forget the possible problems with broken studs as you seperate the logs from the snails, and the thread problems when you try to re assemble them. Be prepared... Hope this helps....Moneypitt

Taylor LP
    After you surface the logs, ditch the gaskets and reassemble them with hi-temp silicone instead. Sounds strange, works great. Going on 3rd season on mine with no problems.
    You could try this without resurfacing too. You might get lucky. Look at it this way, if it doesn't work the hardest part of the job will already be done, they should come back apart easily, and you'll still have some silicone left to reseal them.

sidewound
    Cost me $120 to have mine milled and I used no gasket just the afforementioned sealer. Hasn't leaked yet.!!!
    Peace Man
    CESAR

mgar_red
    I appreciate the replys. You guys are great. I started to wonder after I posted if the void spots were on account of those being the closest flanges to the cold water inlets giving the aluminum some sort of shock from the exhaust temps. Being that is the starting point of the preheating process.
    Just so I get it right the first time, do I let the silicone set up for a while before installing, or do I slap them up right after making the beads?
    Thanks again
    mgar

sidewound
    You can stick em on after you put the high temp red on but let it sit overnight before you fire the motor.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

TJS
    If that does not work you can send them to my and I will flycut them for you on my Bpt. Machine..It will cost you more to ship than to do it..j/k.
    See machine in back round. I am always on that thing.
    T.J.

[ August 03, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: TJS ]

LiquidJ
    For the do it yourselfer:
    Get a piece of 1/2" glass or granite stone, or any trully flat surface. Get some fine grit roll sandpaper. Lay sandpaper on glass or granite. Place logs flange side down and pull back and forth over sand paper. You can go to finer grits to get the desired finish. Have had great results. Have a friend who has been running five years without any leaks. This is how I do mine.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I NOTICED BY LOGS HAD BEEN CUT WITH A SAW BETWEEN THE RUNNERS BEFORE I GOT THE BOAT. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE GREATEST THING TO DO BUT ALL I DO IS USE MERCRUISER GASKETS(P # 27-46820), BOLT THEM UP AND THEIR FINE, NO LEAKS...BILL.