Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To wedge or not?

canuck1
    Alum Squirt
    My ride is similar to yours and with 3 degrees it runs mid 70's. with 4 degrees it slows down approx. 7 mph but the tail is like 300'

Licketty Split
    For what its worth, Its like this,
    Think of the direction the water is being forced out of the jet nozzle, draw a line through the centerline of it... this (for the most part) your line of thrust.
    OK so were does lift come from if we are trusting down? If you find the center of gravity and calculate were your moment of inertia and drag forces follow that line until the two meet this is a point of leverage that picks the bout out of the water. One of the more notable effects is pitch; witch gives air entrapment hulls their lift. This Pitch effect works off the center of water lift as a fulcrum between the CG and the nozzle thrust moment (not line) Think of putting a pipe in the nozzle and standing on it...that is the moment.
    Bottom line. (Finally) You trade thrust for lift. So if we move the nozzle back we have just created a longer pipe and we do not have to work as hard for same pitch gains and the center of water lift has less weight being exerted on it (i.e. less boat in the water). Along with ease of the leverage forces comes a more efficient line of thrust for the given result in lift and MORE SPEED.
    In regard to AS post you most likly have an entrapment hull (or close to one) and once you develop aero lift you’re waiting the energy by shoving the ass end further in the water.
    These are all trade off's what works on one boat may not work on another, you get too long a pump and you loose to much in internal friction (as well as having to cut a hole in the back of your garage) these theories are for you to experiment with the limit is your imagination (or $$$$ as in my case)
    Good luck Hope to see you in Havasu on Memoreal day http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool10.gif

hack job
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Aluminum Squirt, Going from hydrolic to manual still gives you the same amount of movement, just the manual has set positions of trim, where as the hydrolic give you a lot more freedom of where you want the trim angle to be at.
    POM, I do live in Huntington Beach and thanks! Right now the boat is at the interior shop, should get it back in 2 weeks?
    Hack Job, 8 degrees huh? WOW, that is a lot of wedge, I thought 4 degrees was big. Did you take two 4 degree wedges and put them together? I would think that would be way too much. I mean, it would probably get great lift, but what about getting on plane, or pulling a skier? How has that been doing for you guys on that boat?
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 09, 2002).]
    hb
    getting on plane was fine and pulling a skier was fine. the 8 deg was one we got form jack and it was one piecs made of plasticbut it was fine . any how it was a great way to gain some speed i odnt know if it will work on all boat as well, butworked good in this application. though we do not have that boat any more it was my dads and i drove it, i couldnt hang with that rep http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    j/k RD later
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12