Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Nujetter
    I have been into water sports for years, mostly comp. waterskiing. This winter I am picking up my first jet boat. My question is for race and recreation purposes what type of hull should I look for and or pump, engine, etc...? I have mostly been around inboards (comp ski boats).

76sanger
    well im kinda new also, i have a sanger, and have heard from a few that they made a good hull.... as to jet..... hmmmmm ive heard dominator is good, and if your looking for a complete berkeley jet, there is one on ebay as we speak, i think its at $125. and for the engine question, thats a no brainer
    BIG BLOCK CHEVY cuz i dont think ford and dodge make a motor (haha). and you ford and dodge guys please dont take offense at that just havin fun here. and chevy's are by far cheaper to work on i.e. parts!!! wink

1tricky1
    If your looking for speed, a tunnel hull is the way to go. A tunnel will be about 7-10mph faster with same horsepower and drive unit as a v-bottom type hull. It seems with tunnels you usually sacrafice some interior room though. There are still a bunch of very cool v-bottom hulls that haul ass. There are several here on these boards.
    You can't go wrong with a Berkeley or a Dominator. American Turbine and Agressor are also popular pumps. As for engine preference, it's gotta be a big block Ford or Chevy. Oldsmobile parts are expensive and they are known to have some oiling issues. Good luck in your venture. Here's a picture of my ride.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/boat_lf_rear.JPG[/img]

Nubbs
    I bought an 18.5' Nordic bubbledeck in June. It's got a Dominator pump and a BBC engine. I'm very happy with the whole package. It pulls skiers with no problems. It goes fast enough to satisfy me. The only things I don't like are it only seats 5 people and only holds 20 gallons of gas. The gas tanks are changeable, but the seating is not.
    Good Luck

rivercrazy
    It just depends on what your goals are. Do you want a large enough boat for the family? How fast do you want to go? Do you run in rough water? How flat of a wake do you want for skiing?
    A good all around boat is a 21 daycruiser style hull.
    As for jets, I would stay with Dominator, American Turbine, or Legend. IMHO they are the best pumps.
    Try to get a motor with forged parts thoughout and as big on the cubic inches as possible.

canuck1
    buy an aluminum hull

NorCal Gameshow
    a spectra would be a good choice, with a jet the 20' would be the longest i'd go, unless you want to put mucho dinero in the engine.happy hunting you're looking at the right time of year.

diggler
    I have a v-hull with an Olds 455. No problems with the engine after I knew how to take care of its unique oil issues. TONS of room inside also. The only problem I have with it is that it get VERY, VERY, squirrely over 70mph. I believe a place diverter will solve that problem though.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1PF_at_Lost_Isle_2.JPG[/img]

Liberator TJ1984
    Hey Diggler ..how's it hangin'....what oil issues did you have ??? Dave didn't have oil problems that I knew of ...and that is a Stout Olds' motor in that boat ! that's why it runs so good..I think dave tried a diverter on there...worked to a certian point ,but I remember him saying it was porpoiseing real bad ..Next time I see him I'll ask and let you know what was up ....
    Gopherrrrr.........

diggler
    Liberator TJ1984:
    Hey Diggler ..how's it hangin'....what oil issues did you have ??? Dave didn't have oil problems that I knew of ...and that is a Stout Olds' motor in that boat ! that's why it runs so good..I think dave tried a diverter on there...worked to a certian point ,but I remember him saying it was porpoiseing real bad ..Next time I see him I'll ask and let you know what was up ....
    Gopherrrrr......... Just low oil pressure after it heats up. I only pull about 30psi at high rpms. I believe an oil cooler and roller rockers should resolve this.
    I've actually been up over 75mph a couple of times, but it gets very dangerous at that speed. Can you ask Dave how effective a diverter was for me? Would a jetovator be any better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast