Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The only stupid question .........................

Elk Chaser
    Is the one not asked.............
    Can someone explain "pump setback" to me ???
    As well as setting the angle of the intake, are you inserting shims to increase the angle of attack of the shoe or a loader or ???
    And what reference are you using to measure the angle ????
    Sorry for the "Stupid Questions" Oh wait, I asked them so they are not stupid now, just green.

Danhercules
    I think I got the pump set back. The pump is just that, set back farther to the transum. The intake is closer to the back of the boat. The cleanout is usally outsid the boat then. A pump with a setback, droop and a diverter sticks sooooo far out of the boat, it looks cool!!
    What is dose????? I think makes the boat run drier, some one help me on this!!

comin' unscrewed
    Elk Chaser:
    As well as setting the angle of the intake, are you inserting shims to increase the angle of attack of the shoe or a loader or ???
    And what reference are you using to measure the angle ????This involves removing the insert from the hull. You know, the part that's epoxied into the bottom and the suction housing bolts to. After machining it for a shoe and ride plate, it is epoxied back in at a 4 degree steeper angle. This changes your thrust angle providing greater lift and freer ride (less drag due to less wetted surface).

Hallett19
    Rule 1: There is no such thing as a stupid question around here.
    I would talk to HBJet, when he goes off on pumps, setback, shoe, ridplates, etc. etc., he does a pretty damn good job of helping me understand. Chime in here Randy !

Elk Chaser
    OK, so technically this is a set back pump with a ride plate. Correct?
    Just has a "set up" transom...... wink
    As for the shoe that requires machining the intake I would assume that it is removable and adjustable, mine is not.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/935Jet.JPG[/img]

1Bahnerjet
    A Question for you Guys with the Set Back Pumps, do you Worry about Towing in Slow Traffic with all that Pump Sticking out of the back of the Boat?
    -----------
    Thats BANNER with an H

Elk Chaser:
    OK, so technically this is a set back pump with a ride plate. Correct?
    No. What you have is referred to as an "insert-style" pump. It requires a specially molded transom to install. Only the pumps that had intake assemblies that mount through the bottom of the hull are capable of being "set-back".
    The term "set-back" simply refers to the fact that the intake assembly has been moved rearward relative to its original installation.

MikeF
    EC, That is an "insert" type pump. A setback one is the type that mounts to the hull bottom, not the transom.

MikeF
    1Bahnerjet:
    A Question for you Guys with the Set Back Pumps, do you Worry about Towing in Slow Traffic with all that Pump Sticking out of the back of the Boat?
    -----------
    Thats BANNER with an H Practically EVERY TIME! eek! !
    I don't want anyone to damage the hull! Not an easy fix .

Bense468
    EC that looks like an "E" pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast