Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same Olds Questions, Same Olds ...HELP !!!

Halletosis76
    Hello All,
    I'm going to ask the all ready ask THe $10,000 Questions. What is a Good setup for a 455 olds 450-500 hp that's durable enough to pull the kids around in but not get let behind at the docks ? First let me give you the skinny. Block should be Ok but all new berings needed,need new cam and lifters,Had Ported and Polished "Ga" heads, need new ones (what new heads should I be looking at?). I have an "offy tunnel w/850dp,Sanderson wets and all the other olds marine hardwear. Hull is 76 Hallet (not light) pump is Berk Jg needs to be gone through Too. I would like to get 70+ mph out of it. I know about all the oiling problems with olds but whats the best way to address them ? restrictors only or return lines on the heads or both ? so many Questions . Who do you trust. Who out there has a proven build ? I want to find a machinest that I can trustin the central valley Too. Craig M.L.

burbanite
    Halletosis76:
    Hello All,
    I'm going to ask the all ready ask THe $10,000 Questions.......etc, etc...... Craig M.L. Don't know the answer to your questions but with a name like that make sure you don't breath on me.... wink

hallet hate to say it but put a chevy in it.
    where in stockton are you i lve in weston ranch
    pat(slotracer)

Blown 472
    SLOTRACER:
    pat(slotracer) Why not a buick or pontiac, they will bolt up to the bell housing??? or is chevy the answer to everything??

sidewound
    I have dumped a sh*#load of cash 5K into my olds and won't see that kind of HP. I think it will do good to put out 400 hp if that.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MILL_IN_010-med.jpg[/img]
    If you go with the trick alum. heads and the best of everything you can make 5oo hp.
    My thought was keep my olds stuff and rebuild it. Save $$$ ya know. Ihad the heads redone,roller rockers, new intake, new exhaust, cpmp cam and springs, new carb, new pistons .40 over all the bearings double fitted, new pan, and oil cooler.
    Chevy is not the answer to everything but with a junkyard block from Joe in Iowa I could have posted some more respectable numbers with the amount I spent. Rocket red looks cool tho huh? he he he
    If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have. The availability of olds performance parts is much less than the variety of goodies the bowties have to choose from. Prices are more competitive also due to the variety of outlets, and the fact that more people have chevy stuff layin around their shop than olds stuff.
    Just my experience man. Good luck on your indeavor. My boats still not runnin.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

sidewound
    sidewound:
    I have dumped a sh*#load of cash, 5K into my olds and won't see that kind of HP. I think it will do good to put out 400 hp if that.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MILL_IN_010-med.jpg[/img]
    If you go with the trick alum. heads and the best of everything you can make 5oo hp.
    My thought was keep my olds stuff and rebuild it. Save $$$ ya know. I had the heads redone,roller rockers, new intake, new exhaust, comp cam and springs, new carb, new pistons .40 over all the bearings double fitted, new pan, and oil cooler.
    Chevy is not the answer to everything but with a junkyard block from Joe in Iowa I could have posted some more respectable numbers with the amount I spent. Rocket red looks cool tho huh? he he he
    If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have. The availability of olds performance parts is much less than the variety of goodies the bowties have to choose from. Prices are more competitive also due to the variety of outlets, and the fact that more people have chevy stuff layin around their shop than olds stuff.
    Just my experience man. Good luck on your indeavor. My boats still not runnin.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

sidewound
    Wow. Yhat was wierd. Double post. POOP!

GlastronGuy
    Blown 472:
    SLOTRACER:
    pat(slotracer) Why not a buick or pontiac, they will bolt up to the bell housing??? or is chevy the answer to everything?? It is if you don't know how to build an Olds.

jrau
    I am not an expert either but here is my experience. I put about 7500 dollars into my olds and It still is eating me alive. I got 450-460hp out of it but at 6800 rpm. I fought this engine for most of the season just to get it over 4000 rpm. To make it simple, I think I should have taken the hint when it refused to give me the rpm I wanted. I am currently camming back down to stock olds marine grind. pocket ported only, c heads, and an A2 impellor. I was at 72mph-gps and I think I can still do it without the high-(olds killing)- R's. I ran oil restrictors and drainback lines. It still was hard on bearings. I finally ran into an old timer who ran olds motors who offered me some advise. They were never designed to spin high rpms, and the oil galleys ect. were not designed for it. Its the perfect jet boat engine. most tourqe and lightest, if you are willing to give up the idea of small impellors and high rpms.

its not that i can't build a olds a engine's a
    engine. the cost factor and reliablity of the
    chevy is why i went that way. i am basicily
    a ford person but in this case it was easier
    and cheaper than rebuilding a engine that had
    limited reliability without alot of money and work put into it. pat(slotracer)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast