Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to use to get silicone off gel

malcolm
    I'm getting close to putting in my pump. I was just out cleaning up the transom. The last few times it was put on with silicone (a couple layers of clear and the last one blue yuk ). I have scraped off all I can, could I put some gas or something on a rag and get the rest off?
    Also, what kinds of stuff are you using to seal the transom adapter when you put it back on?
    Thanks,
    [ June 26, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: malcolm ]

PLACECRAFT20
    MAN I TRYED IT ALL, I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE SILICONE. SOMTIMES GAS WORKS, SOMTIMES CARB CLEANER, SOMETIMES WD40 AND SOMTIMES NOTHING. I GET AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE AND TAKE MY NEW SILICONE AND RUN A BEAD ON ONE OF MY CUT OFFS TO SEE IF IT WILL STICK. IF IT DOES I SEALER UP. IF IT DOES NOT I TRY A DIFFERENT SILICONE. THATS MY 2 CENTS.

Omega21
    Rub your fingerprints off :-)
    Todd

PLACECRAFT20
    I FORGOT ABOUT ALL THE RUBBING.

Cas
    Professional strength Goof Off is hands down the best thing I've ever used. It turns the silicone into a mush that you just wipe off. After that, wipe the area clean with denatured alcolhol.

malcolm
    Well, I tried gas. It helped some. It would take off the real light stuff and weaken the bond of the thicker stuff. I dug through my junk and found a razor blade scraper. That seemed to work the best when I got down to the gel. Boy, that adapter has been off a dozen times!
    Thanks for all the input guys,

77468sleekcraft
    USE SOME BRAKE CLEANER BUT DONT LET IT STAY ON THE PAINT LONG,JUST GET THE CRAP OFF THEN WASH OFF THE AREA ..

Moneypitt
    I have had great sucess using "Prepsol". The stuff you use to remove all the wax and other crap that gets into the pores of the surface you are about to paint. It will break down MOST silicone based waxes, and seems to break the bond to the surface of RTV type sealers, allowing removal in large pieces. And then there is the rubbing method...........Moneypitt

PLACECRAFT20
    I FORGOT TO ADD I USED A RED SCRATCH PAD TYPE GASKET REMOVEL WHEEL ON MY DIGRINDER. JUST DONT LET IT GET ON THE VISIBLE SURFACES. IT TAKES THE JUNK OFF IN A HURRY BUT WILL DIG INTO GELLCOAT JUST AS QUICKLY. PRACTICE ON A NON SEEN AREA.
    PC20

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    use sandpaper eek! j/k malcolm. I used the good ol' fingernails. I wouldnt use brake cleaner because it will eat paint. Truss me,I know by error wink

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast