Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help everyone please look!!! Carb & fuel problems

JetboatJon454
    Hey all thanks for looking........... I was working on my 18" apollo jetboat with a 454ci today. I added a holley 110gph fuel pump and that obviously wasn't the source of my problem. To cut to the chase I'm getting fuel pumped up to my float bowls but they are not coming through the jets to pump into the carb. I have a holley 850 double pumper. It all happened when I was in lake geneva wisconsin and I tried to switch tanks to my leftside well I shut the right tank off and tried to use the left one and I guess it sucked up the water soaked gas. The reason why it was soaked was apparently the gas cap was not bolted down properly by the previous owner and water seeped into it and I think it might have clogged it I thought it was the fuel pump but it wasn't. After sucking all the gas out of both tanks I took the boat out today and the gas cap flew off just my luck and I used pc-7 epoxy and it still did not stay down. This is the worst part of it all the only way I can get it started is if I use a little bit of gas and pour it in a cap and put it on top of the carb and it starts right up and pumps gas everytime I step on it. The strange part is......when it's off and not running I step on the gas and nothing comes out of the jets. I asked my neighbor and he said something might be clogged in the boosters for the float bowls could that possibly be the problem, and will my carb need a rebuild??

BK
    Im no expert but it sounds like your accellerator pump may not be working properly, maybe a ruptured diaphram? Just a thought.

JetboatJon454
    What exactly is the accellerator pump anyway, and where is the diaphram located that your talking about?

BK
    Its on the bottom of the float bowl on the throttle side of the carb and will have an arm sticking out that is opperated by the throttle . Some carbs have them on both bowls and some on just the front. Push the arm down and if its working properly gas will come out the squirters (if theres gas in the bowls). Hope this helps.

JetboatJon454
    Yeah, I have 2 of them definately and I know there is gas in the bowls because I drained them several times but they just won't squirt from the jet.

Tahiti Owner
    what BK was saying i think is push down on those arms individually and see if it squirts fuel... if not then just get a kit and replace the diaphram and springs in each side...i have a 455 olds with an 8oo holley double pumper and i had a similar problem with the diaphrams not being able to keep up under full throttle, it constantly seemed like i was out of gas until i let her idle for a bit and she would come back to life, i replaced the diaphrams and she was fine.
    [ July 30, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Owner ]

PC Rat
    Push on the accelerator arm like mentioned above.
    If you can push the arm and no gas comes out the squirter, then you probably need a new diaphram.
    If you can't push the arm or it is very stiff, pull the bowl off, there is a passage way in the bowl "housing" that fuel should squirt out of then into the metering block, try cleaning out this passage.
    Also try pulling off the squirter (be carefull not to drop any parts) and see if there is something stuck in there.
    I didn't have a good filter and kept getting crap stuck in that passage and in the squirter.

NorCal Gameshow
    the check valve could be stuck pumping the gas back into the bowl.....

Hotcrusader76
    JetboatJon454
    [QB] I used pc-7 epoxy and it still did not stay down. QB]There is your problem....you might have some epoxy that came loose from the fuel fumes, and now its stuck in your metering block circuits. I have seen this a million times with people fixing leaks on the fuel lines. I can guarantee you have a circuit that is clogged somewhere.
    If your savey enough, take it apart and probe the orifices with a flash light. Also as it was said earlier....your accelerator pump diaphragm could be ruptured (it would be leaking everywhere if it was) or collapsed.
    I would seariously consider rebuilding it at this point and cleaning up your fuel tanks. Never use silicon based epoxy.....it will come loose and "taint" your fuel system. I would bet your fuel filter is clogged to. Elimate all the possiabilitys and start from "qround zero" again.
    -Ty

Kwicherbichen
    If all else fails, look at the little ball bearing at the bottom of the float bowl which houses the accelerator pump. When I took my 600 apart, due to water ingestion, that little ball had some corrosion on it and was sticking. You can't take the ball out because it is held in by a small band of brass or spring steel. Carefully chip the corrosion off with an awl or similar device until the ball can move freely. If it is plugged up it would prevent you accelerator pump from operating properly. Ty could probably expand on this more clearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast