Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque vs Horsepower?

Trash
    Torque = whether or not you can move an object (work)
    HP = how fast can you move it (work/unit time)

Chris J
    Torque is good for acceleration and Horsepower is good for speed. Gotta have both.

Chris J
    One more thought? When you give a torque spec at a giving RPM aren't you really talking about Horsepower? Kinda like saying I just Drove 60 miles and it took me one hour?
    RPM gives torque (work) a value over time which is horsepower....Damm'it now you guys got me thinking.

pops1
    jim lee:
    It seems that there will never be an answer will there? On and on the old fight continues. Well, its time to take sides and put your money where your mouth is.

What camp are you in? Horsepower? Or would it be Torque?
    Now, when entering those internet flame wars, you can display your camp's official Torque Vs Horsepower battle gear.
    -jim lee JIM LEE-THE ONLY TIME THIS FIGHT COMES UP IS WHEN YOU TALK TO A SLOW ASS PROPERs.
    NOW FAST JETS -BY THE WAY SPRAY PROPPERS JUST LIKE SKUNKS DO, THEN GO OFF EAT LUNCH,HAVE A NICE SOCIAL TALKING TO THE WOMAN,PUT THE COOLERS BACK IN THE BOATS, JUST ABOUT THE TIME THE PROPERS SLIP UP.
    NOW I KNOW TONY THE JET BOAT GURU- STILL WILL NOT AGREE TO THIS, BUT SINCE THE SQUIRTERS SPANKED THE HYDRO @ THE 1,000 FOOTER THIS PAST YEAR. WE HAVE NOT HAD THEM VISITING OUR BOARDs -SO I SHALL CAST THE FIRST STONE-
    PROPERS THOSE LEG CHOPING,HOLE DIGGING,STUFFING BOXES WHICH ARE SLOWER THEN SAIL BOATS ARE IN BIG TROUBLE AGAIN THIS YEAR- JETS- THE TORQUE GETS BIGGER WE GET MEANER AND SO DO OUR VANES!
    NOW PROPERS YOU CAN CALL ME DAVE OR YOU CAN CALL ME POPs OR YOU CAN CALL ME FULL OF IT. BUT JETS AND TORQUE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU SUCH BAD DREAMS.
    JIM- SELL THEM HATS, AND TELL ALL THE ONES WHICH BUY THE WING, WING, WING,H/P HATS TO WATCH OUT FOR THE BIG DOGs "WHO DO NOT SPRAY LIKE A PUPPY"
    THEY WILL SWAMP YOU AS THEY GO BUY.
    (I WOULD HAVE SAID "AT THE LINE" EXCEPT IT TAKE'S PROPERS TWO OR THREE BOUNCES TO PLANE THE BOAT, SO THEY LEAVE THE LINE REAL EARLY. THATS WHY I SAID "GO BY" INSTEAD).
    NOW THIS COULD START SOMETHING! HA HA

LVjetboy
    "Dynos measure torque"
    Are you sure about that?

jer

Infomaniac
    LVjetboy:
    "Dynos measure torque"
    Are you sure about that?

jer No doubt about it.
    pops 1 - They had to shorten the race track for ya huh? Crashed a few of them squirt boats pushing it to the edge also.

Bense468
    Nobody said anything about weight on here. I am suprised. Build an all aluminumn blown stroker small block. Put it in a light layup. That small block may have less torque then the big block, but weighs less, and just may get out of the hole faster then that big block and would be gone.

BK
    Bense468:
    Nobody said anything about weight on here. I am suprised. Build an all aluminumn blown stroker small block. Put it in a light layup. That small block may have less torque then the big block, but weighs less, and just may get out of the hole faster then that big block and would be gone. That may be true but I dont think the weight of a motor has anything to do with how much hp or torque its going to put out or how many rpm's its going to spin. Am I wrong here?

Bense468
    No, it has nothing to do with the motor itself. But you need torque to move mass. The lighter the boat. The less torque you need to get the thing moving. Get what I am saying. Its all about mass. If your setup is heavy you need gobs or tq to get you out and going. The lighter the setup the faster you are on plane and HP can take over. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    [ May 28, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

BK
    Hey Bense you make a good point, what your saying seems to make sense to me. idea

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast