Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque vs Horsepower?

Hal
    You have to consider a jet boat is like running your engine on a dyno. Its the same thing. You need a lot of torque to get the rpm (more water pressure) out of your pump not HP.
    Read this
    [ May 28, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Sangster
    Now how do you argue with that... wink

MAXIMUS
    I will settle for my 540... I get hp & torq!!! then I don't have to choose... My dyno says I am hauling ass!!!!

MikeF
    You want to position the amount of torque (in the rpm range) to be able to turn the larger impellers from 5252 to ++++. The more TORQUE you have, the more rpm you can turn a given (larger) impeller.
    You get more torque by adding an air pump to better fill the cylinders with the largest amount of air and fuel possible in the correct ratios for the largest push on the crank (torque) once it is ignited .
    I think boxed smile_sp

MikeF
    Not to get too far off the subject.....but who can explain the 18,500 rpm (well above 5252) revs that the F1 cars are able to turn and why do they make them rev sooooooooo high eek! wink .

Hal
    They are not heavy enough to need torque to make them move. Its more like this. Who needs Torque when your weight to HP ratio is 2 to 1 23000 RPM
    [ May 28, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Bahner18
    "5252" That is a crazy number!! If you look at Dyno sheets youll notice that most engines cross at 5252 ?why? Well its part of the equasion to measure HP.
    (Measured Torque) times (RPM performed at)divided by 5252 equals HP
    Yah my spelling sucks

Hal
    What does that mean?

Bahner18
    You around hal?

LVjetboy
    Amazing how urban legend lives on, despite evidence to the contrary. I guess if you grow up believing something, hard to change?
    Like those who swore the earth was flat.
    OldSquirt explained clearly the magic 5252 myth, but do readers believe? No. Still the myth lives on. "You need torque below 5252, and power above." Ya whatever. Tell that to the metric guys.
    So also the dyno. "We measure torque on the dyno not power, so torque must be more important!"
    Think about it.
    What do you REALLY measure on a dyno? Pressure in some cases. Temperature in others. And stain (displacement) on others still. Then that measurement (not torque directly) is mathematically or by calibration combined with a moment arm (if used) to derive torque. So what?
    Does that make torque any less important than the force or temperature or pressure directly measured by which torque is derived from? No. So also with power. Because power is derived from torque plus rpm...another measurement, does that make it any less important than torque? No. The fact that torque is derived from strain or pressure and power is derived from strain or pressure and rpm has no meaning to this thread. These "derived from" arguements are lame and deflect reasoning from the real truth...that being, which property (torque or power) is more important to determining performance.
    jer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast