Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS or Speedometer

78Eliminator
    I have a (as you might have guessed) 78 Eliminator Daytona. It has a tach, but no speedo. I was thinking about installing one. Do any of you drag boat guys run them or do you just use the GPS method? Just curious.
    78Elim

jordanpaulk
    go with the GPS for the sake of accuracy.

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by jordanpaulk:
    go with the GPS for the sake of accuracy.
    Absolutely, speedo's are terribly inaccurate plus you have that stupid pilot tube hanging down creating drag resistance.

78Eliminator
    HD:
    You know you're speed freak when you're worried about the drag resistance of a pitot tube!!!

River Gambler
    Why not both!!!!!! put in a gps speedo, they look like a reg. speedo but they are a GPS. No tupe to run, just a small antenna you can place almost anywhere. Originally posted by 78Eliminator:
    I have a (as you might have guessed) 78 Eliminator Daytona. It has a tach, but no speedo. I was thinking about installing one. Do any of you drag boat guys run them or do you just use the GPS method? Just curious.
    78Elim

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by River Gambler:
    Why not both!!!!!! put in a gps speedo, they look like a reg. speedo but they are a GPS. No tupe to run, just a small antenna you can place almost anywhere.
    Yeah, I have thought about a GPS speedo, but I don't want the thing that looks like a computer mouse anywhere it can be seen. Will a GPS speedo work accurately if you either place the mouse looking thing under the dash or under a seat? The article in ***boat seemed to indicate it needs to be in the open. I'll be damned if that stupid looking thing is going to intrude on the looks of my boat. Any ideas?

Party Cat
    Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
    Will a GPS speedo work accurately if you either place the mouse looking thing under the dash or under a seat?
    A buddy of mine put his antenna under the deck of his Daytona and only had a problem at the south end of Havasu. From the Channel to past Needles, it worked fine.
    YMMV

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by Party Cat:
    A buddy of mine put his antenna under the deck of his Daytona and only had a problem at the south end of Havasu. From the Channel to past Needles, it worked fine.
    YMMV
    Cool, I have a dual Gaffrig EGT that hasn't worked from day one. Now there is a big hole in my dash that I think a GPS speedo would fit nicely in. I would either mount the "mouse" under the dash or along my stringer under the seat. This will probably be a winter install though. Thanks.

checkmate76
    My speedo is very unaccurate and well I don't want to sound stupid...duh
    and i've seen it many times "GPS" but nowhere have I seen what it stands for.
    i'm guessing guidance point system?
    any help?

Licketty Split
    Global Positioning System

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast