Thread: Cooling Water Pressure?

jwbbuck
    I installed an adjustable water pressure regulator between the pump and the cooling tower. Do I still need to use the spring and baffle inside the four port cooling tower? I installed a water pressure gauge in the intake manifold, but it didn't register any pressure tonight. The temperature gauge looked fine (140-160) with a 160 thermostat.

Hallett19
    what motor do you have and how did you run your thermostat ? and where did you get it ?

CoastGuardSteve
    Hallett19,
    I have a thermostat set-up on my Spectra 18 and it works pretty well. I got mine at CP Performance for around $180. Once I figured in the cost of other items not included in the kit it cost me about $220 total. I might be getting rid of it though....any interest? Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested or if you just want some questions answered.
    Steve

jwbbuck
    Hallett19,
    I've got a mild 454: 10.5:1, oval port heads, tunnel ram and 450 Holleys. The thermostat is from Rex. They sell a kit with the housing, regulating spring and valve and thermostat. I think the spring and valve serve to regulate the pressure in the block. But, I added an adjustable regulator between the pump and the motor. I show a few PSI of water pressure at the intake manifold, but only for a few seconds. Every time I look back at the gauge, it's back to zero. The thermostat functions and there is flow through the block. Temp is perfect, but I'd like to see a constant 10-15 psi, if possible. What do you think?

Unchained
    I have a water pressure by pass that I installed last year seems to be working well. I have looked behind the boat and water is bypassing at cruise speed. http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/jetpump.jpg
    However, this spring I installed a good liquid filled water pressure gauge right where the water line comes in to the front of the block and found that although the gauge reads 0 at idle, when I rev it up I am still building 50 - 60 lbs of water pressure. I even backed the bypass gauge out until the spring was loose and it was bypassing all the time. I just have too much water volume. The bypass can't dump enough to maintain the pressure that I wanted (12- 15 lbs)
    Now I feel I need to install a restrictor inside the 3/8" pipe nipple right at the pump to slow down the water volume to the engine.
    Mark

Duane HTP
    From your picture, it looks like you have the 3/4" fitting from the regulator reduced to a 3/8" pipe nipple. If so, this could be part of the problem. Use a 3/4" tee in between your pump, and inlet water. Reduce it to 3/8" to fit your pump inlet pipe and engine water pipe. But, DO NOT reduce the 3/4" between the tee, and the regulator. Also be sure that your overboard water line and bulkhead fitting are a full 3/4" all the way. Hope this helps. Duane HTP

Unchained
    Duane, Good point, I'll try it.

Licketty Split
    I dont remember the t-stat kit costing that much...But I have one on my boat and love it