Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS or Speedometer

mister460
    Global Positioning System. Uses satelites.

checkmate76
    global positioning huh? that sounds pretty high tech...expensive I'll bet!
    Do cloudy days have an affect on this?
    how much does this system co$t?
    and how accurate is it?

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by checkmate76:
    global positioning huh? that sounds pretty high tech...expensive I'll bet!
    Do cloudy days have an affect on this?
    how much does this system co$t?
    and how accurate is it?
    Extremely accurate, more accurate than radar. Not to expensive. I think you can get the whole set up from Gaffrig for about $300. What did that article in ***boat last month say it cost? I am Mr. Short Term Memory here today..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

spectras only
    A GPS needs to lock on to 3 satellites to work.The problem with them, if you boat around tall mountains.If you loose one satellite ,you loose the triangulation required for positioning.I had one for quite sometime and it's very accurate.My friend is installing a VDO model in a boat that will be used in the ocean where there's less of a chance loosing a satellite,unlike inland boating.

jordanpaulk
    I bought a little hand held unit for under $150. I just throw it in a pocket of my soft-sided cooler in the boat. It is usually tracking at least 10 satellites so losing one behind a mountain has never affected it. It is waterproof and floats too. I also take it to Glamis and ride with it in my backpack. One of the coolest things ever. Just my .02
    Jordy

HavasuDreamin'
    I am going to take a wild guess and say there is no tattle tail on a hand held unit! So how do you know how fast you are actually going. Does someone have to hold this thing and try to read it at 100 mph?

77charger
    get the garmin e trex for around a 100 bucks now maybe cheaper it works really good for speed also.
    BTW dont get one if you think your boat is faster than what it is though.

jordanpaulk
    Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
    I am going to take a wild guess and say there is no tattle tail on a hand held unit! So how do you know how fast you are actually going. Does someone have to hold this thing and try to read it at 100 mph?
    There is a tattle tale for everything on my Garmin. It has an odometer, max speed, average speed moving, trip average, current speed, direction, elevation, time of day, moon position and on and on and on. Just reset all the stops in it and make a run. When you stop it will tell you the max speed of the run. Like 77 said, don't get one if you think your boat is faster than it is or if you dont want to know. They call them "Humblers" for a good reason.
    Jordy

Torino Jet
    I used a GPS a couple of weeks ago, and was reading 59 all day. Lower than I wanted, but what I expected. On the way home, though, hit some rought water. I registered a 75 mph top speed, but I really do not believe I was going anywhere near that. So I wonder how accurate they really are.

77charger
    my garmin is really accurate and does'nt fluctuate at all unless you are on the gas.I taped it to my streetbike(01 gsxr 750)and nailed it thru the gears to 4th speedo said 150 gps 135 and i know the speedo on the bike is way off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast