Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FLOOR SEPERATION?

DOHARA
    I have a 20 foot open bow 1990 Canyon. I have noticed the floor seperating from the hull of the boat. I went to havasu this weekend and as we were coming back from sandbar halling ass against the wind the from bow area flipped up. It didn't come off luckily I let off quick enough to save it. As i repaired it the best i could the next day, I found the floor is seperated from the front of the bow all the way to the driver and passenger seats. I'm just wondering what causes this and should I replace the hole floor or have someone else do it. I know some guys on this board have done it them selves but is it best to leave it to the pros? Who can I call to have them check this out to see what it will co$t. I know the guy we bought it from is hard on his toys, so I'm sure he did the damage prior. Any help would be great.

Slick
    Two words...Havasu Barney.
    www.havasubarney.com (http://www.havasubarney.com) or 928-505-8678 Shop
    You could probably do it yourself, but Barney will make it bulletproof and he's very reasonable on price.
    Good luck,
    Slick

hoolign
    They say misery loves company
    I pulled up carpet to replace..and the whole floor and all the wood under it is fubar everything,if it came from a tree it's shot,so now I get to learn how to fix it all, can't be that hard, just gotta get the nerve to take that first swing,i am a bit nervous about grinding the fiberglass on the inside of the hull though

Slick
    Grinding is not an issue. Just make sure when you cut the old floor out to not go through the hull. I used a grinder with a diamond tile blade on it. In the tight spots I used my rotary tool with a diamond impregnated wheel on it.
    When grinding on the hull, use a backing pad on your grinder with sanding discs, not abrasive wheels. The sandpaper discs work much better.

hoolign
    not grinding through the hull is where my nerves are gettin it from http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I'm gonna give it a shot! gotta go buy a dremmel with a cutter! and a fire wire so i can post victory [or defeat]

WetNwild
    I just bought my first boat, a 1977 19ft. Ultra, after finding a large crack in the floor next to one of the stringers I thought the worst. I pulled the interior to find the floor was rotted out. After alot of cutting, grinding and wire brushing I got it all cleaned up and I'm cutting the floor and the runner in right now. For a moment or two I thought I must be crazy, but the hard part is over. Save the old floor for a templet. I'm not sure if I should use water seal to protect the wood. It might keep the fiberglass from sticking to the wood, any ideas would be appreciated? Its nice to see that im not the only one, it seems to be a commin problem.

hoolign
    I was just going to use treated wood,then fiberglass in the runners to the hull,with drains into the bilge,then use treated wood for the floor with no glass just caulking on the edges,so it's no prob to get at the tank if I have to.good idea/bad idea or do i have to glass the floor to the inside of the hull

Raskal
    well i just found out my floor is coming up also had to pull gas tank out to weld tiny hole and noticed that small part was pulling up to scared to pull up rest of carpet what should i do ?

hoolign
    one word..RRRRRIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPP
    I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one finding this now,that'll teach me for procastinating coulda had this all done during the winter,oh well I'm in Alberta so summers still a ways away

spectras only
    Jeff,you call Dave tomorrow morning after 9:30 at 604-278 1880 ,he'll explain how to go about your floor.It's easier to explain on the phone than the internet.Tell him ,you talked to me about it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast