Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Questions:

78Eliminator
    1. How do you run a jet boat out of water? Is it even ok to do? Is it possible to adjust my carbs in my driveway?
    2. I want a HUGE rooster. Is my best bet just to buy a Place Diverter?
    Thanks guys. I just purchased my first boat so I'm new. It's a 78 Eliminator pickle with a 468 chevy, two holley 750s with tunnel ram on a high rise manifold. I love my boat.

rivercrazy
    There are two ways to run your boat out of the water. The best way is to disconnect the u-joints thus disconnecting the pump from the motor (and running a hose to the motor). The other way is to run a T line in between the pump and motor. That way both bet some water. If you go this route, have two water hoses. One for the "T" and one stuck up partially up the bowl of the pump.
    If you run it dry you risk hurting the pump in the areas of Impeller to Wear Ring clearance and burning seals/rope packing.
    One thing to keep in mind is to not turn the water on until you fire the motor. The pressure from the hose can overpressurize the cooling system resulting in major problems.
    It you want to roost you have a few alternatives. A place diverter will give you a fairly wicked roost out of the box. If you want a really high one, add a rooster booster from place diverter or by a 4 degree wedge. The other alternative is to add on a droop snoot (along with the place diverter). I would only go with a droop if your boat runs really wet and you need more lift.
    Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Beavertim
    78 Eliminator,
    Congratulations on your new boat. I also have a 78 Eliminator, but it's of the 21 ft sport cruiser variety.
    There was a huge discussion on running the boat out of the waster on the other Jet board (Jet talk) about a month ago. You can do a search and retrieve it. Lots of differing opinions. One thing for sure though, if you're going to do it for more than a minute or so, you need to connect a water supply (your hose)to your engine. I always hook up the hose, then start the motor, then turn on the water. Keep in mind your hose pressure may be as high as 60 psi, so you may not want to turn it on all the way. As you will see on the other thread, there were lots of differing opinions about feeding water to the jet. I duct taped a hose to my loader grate that sent a stream of water into the impeller.
    Enjoy you're boat, and you came to the right board for information. There are a lot of guys on here with a wealth of information. Tim

HBjet
    Welcome to the Boards, and congrats on the Eliminator!
    Like Rivercrazy posted, the best way to do this is to disconnect the u-joint between the motor and the pump. Pumps were designed to run in the water. Now, if you do disconnect the pump and hook a water line up to the motor [different opinion then RC] I suggest you turn the water on a half turn. Wait until you have water flowing thru and out of the motor and the boat until you fire it up. Once you fire up the motor, turn the water on another half turn.
    Now, if your not going to disconnect the driveline, just take your garden hose and stick it through the nozzle at the end of the pump until the end of the hose it just inside or before the bowl veins. Turn on the hose 2 or 3 turns and then fire up the motor, but try to avoid reving.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet

78 eliminator,
    Do as rivercrazy says and put a T in line when you run the boat on the trailer. This way you feed the motor and the pump at the same time, not needing to stuff another hose up the grate or in the nozzle to keep the pump wet. You can also regulate the flow of water, while on the hose, by adjusting the gate valve on the pump, being able to dump more water in the pump or a little more to the engine.
    No need to wait to start the motor to turn on the water,(unless you're running headers) the water presure comming throught the hose will be the same weather the thing is running or not, there's no pump pumping it faster when it's running. Just make sure, like HBJet says, and dont turn the hose on full force.
    [This message has been edited by old rigger (edited May 15, 2002).]

HBjet
    Old Rigger, for the number of times he might do this, don't you think adding a T inline between the gate valve and the line going to the block would be a little much? If you stick the hose in the back of the pump, the impeller will pump the motor with water while keeping the bowl as full as it can. I would also think you wouldn't want to pump water into the bowl, where water is pumped out of. I would think the pump would get some water, but mostly trying to push it back to the motor. Anyways, he should be fine with any of these ideas.
    The best though, is dissconnect the driveline and not worry about the pump.
    HBjet

Slick
    HBJet,
    Some of us don't have the luxury of a 4pt engine mount. I have a 3pt mount and it's a real pain in butt to disconnect the driveline. I have a T-line on my pump. I don't think it would be a big deal to add one. Mine is constructed of parts you can get at the local hardware store.

HBjet
    Originally posted by Slick:
    HBJet,
    Some of us don't have the luxury of a 4pt engine mount. I have a 3pt mount and it's a real pain in butt to disconnect the driveline. I have a T-line on my pump. I don't think it would be a big deal to add one. Mine is constructed of parts you can get at the local hardware store.
    Never thought about you 3pt mount guys. Yeah, I know you can construct one from the hardware store. I'm just glad you have a covered motor so no one will see those Home Depot tags laying around in there...haha! J/K
    HBjet

HBJet,
    I don't know what you mean by a little much? You can make one of these for about 5 bucks and when its not in use, take it off and put it on the shelf. I would hook up mine and run the boat for over an hour after I took it in the ocean. I don't know how you'd flush the salt out of the motor and the pump without one. This was with a blue printed pump too.
    Have broke in many cams using this set up as well.
    It's fool proof.

HBjet
    Old Rigger, in your situation (taking the boat in the ocean) I can see what you mean, by wanting a T to flush out both motor and pump after being in salt water. What this guy was wondering was for adjusting his carbs in the driveway, what would be best? That is why I suggested removing the driveline, and if that is not an option, put a hose in the back of the pump to pump water in the block. Simple for this new boater. Doesn't have to go buy or install anything. Anyways, either way will work, it's up to the owner.
    HBjet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast