Thread: Installing a knock sensor

Rivernut
    I have a GM vortec 5.7 engine with a Holley Carb and an hei distributer (coil not in the cap). I also have a GM knock sensor from an '87 Corvette. The block has the threaded hole for the sensor. This distributer has a black wire that is hooked up to positive to retard the timing while setting it. Can I install the knock sensor and hook it to this wire and have it work?

Hallett19
    You dont need a knock sensor if you are running decent gas. And depending on how modified your motor is (compression and timing mostly) you don't need one at all. I have a pretty modified 460 Ford and I use 91 octane and keep the timing around 14-18 BTDC and don't have a problem.

Rivernut
    I put in 93 octane and set the timing at 14 degrees initial and the module is supposed to add another 18 for total timing of 32 degrees. I've read a lot about these heads liking 32. The manual that came with it said to set the timing at 8 degrees, but the boat came rigged at 14 degrees. I am woried about detonation from bad gas at marinas. I do carry octane boost. I would not be able to hear it pinging. Since I have a knock sensor I thought why not use it if it is easy to hook up? Does the piezoelectric thing in it generate enough voltage to set off an LED light on the dash maybe? Would it retard the timing if hooked to the timing lead on the distributer?

Hotcrusader76
    Rivernut:
    I put in 93 octane and set the timing at 14 degrees initial and the module is supposed to add another 18 for total timing of 32 degrees. I've read a lot about these heads liking 32. The manual that came with it said to set the timing at 8 degrees, but the boat came rigged at 14 degrees. I am woried about detonation from bad gas at marinas. I do carry octane boost. I would not be able to hear it pinging. Since I have a knock sensor I thought why not use it if it is easy to hook up? Does the piezoelectric thing in it generate enough voltage to set off an LED light on the dash maybe? Would it retard the timing if hooked to the timing lead on the distributer?Correct me if I am wrong ...But knock sensors are feedback controls for the air/fuel ratio in computer controlled engine set-ups. Right?
    So either plug it and don't use it, or just disconnect the wire.