Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with stereo

wrightnow
    I need some help; this is kind of boat related.
    I just purchased a new truck (2003 F250 crew cab PSD) and need some help with the stereo. Currently its stock and that won’t due with all the long hauls to the river this summer. I ‘m looking for input from someone that has or had someone install there sub behind the rear bench. I have talked to several stereo shops and no one has struck me as someone I want to build the box.
    I believe I could build the box if I had an idea of what will work back there. IÂ’m working with about 17.5inch tall x 8inch bottom x 4 inch top. I can go long as 60 inch.
    I have a fosgate 500.1bd amp. to power the subs.
    I know there are some very qualified audio guys on this board (roz, froggystyle to name a few) any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

Hustler
    send our new Moderator HH an e-mail with those demensions and he tell you how to build the box. He did that with mine in the boat and it turned out Awsome
    [ December 17, 2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Hustler ]

Havasu Hangin'
    Hustler:
    send our new Moderator HH an e-mail with those demensions and he tell you how to build the box. He did that with mine in the boat and it turned out AwsomeUhhh...I'm not a moderator. Although I'm flattered for the reference...how much do I owe you, Hustler?
    Are those the maximum outside dimensions? Did you take into account any grills on the subs?
    Do you have the subs already?

wrightnow
    Havasu Hangin, Thanks for the quick reply.
    The 8inch is the outside dimensions and no I did not take into account the grills.
    I haven't purchased any subs yet wasn't sure what to buy.
    Thanks again
    Mark

Havasu Hangin'
    Well, I think you can build that box yourself. All you need is a table saw, some 3/4" MDF, glue, drywall screws, carpet, and a jig saw. I bet you could have it together in less than an hour.
    Using your maximum demensions (60" long, 17.5" high, but substituing 3" and 7" for the depths to allow for a couple waffle grills) with 3/4" MDF, you have a maximum internal volume of 1.896 cu/ft, or .95 cu/ft per sub (not counting the sub, or dividers if you want them). To make less airspace, you can just shorten it up.
    My only concern would be to make sure you find a sub with a maximum of around 4" mounting depth, as that box will be pretty shallow.
    Although they don't look too nice, waffle grills offer good protection, and are pretty flush with the speaker. Hey...who's gonna see em anyway...
    I bet Roz can hook you up with some gear that will work...
    [ December 17, 2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

rivercrazy
    I'm not sure if they make em for your particular model and how much boom your looking for. But JL makes a steath box for many trucks that can accommodate 1 10" sub. It fits under the center console between the two front seats. Something to think about if you don't wanna loose any space.

Hustler
    Havasu Hangin'
    Member # 673
    Pulled this from the first page of the moderator thread...sorry for the confusion

Havasu Hangin'
    Hustler:
    Pulled this from the first page of the moderator thread...sorry for the confusion I am a "limted" moderator...but an "unlimited" smartass...

Hustler
    but an "unlimited" smartass...
    Well I think we all knew this already

GlastronGuy
    Havasu Hangin':
    Well, I think you can build that box yourself. All you need is a table saw, some 3.4" MDF,I'd stay away from 3.4" material and go with .75" MDF. I built my sub box and it is really simple to do. I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 Xcab, 4 door. The hardest part is getting the power to it by mounting and wiring an amp. If you build a sub box remember to measure twice and cut once.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast