Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is castaic closing or what?

MagicMtnDan
    Just read an article in the LA Times the other day said that Castaic would be open into early September and they're trying to get more money to keep it open past then. Said it costs about $2.8 million to operate the lake each year. Also said that they're looking into the option of having it run privately by a company.
    Anyone want to run a lake year round?
    I can see it now:
    * No Fishing
    * No Lake Lice
    * No Speed Limits
    * No Bathing Suit Tops
    * Cold Beer on Tap at convenient locations around the lake
    How much would you pay to go there for a day?

JetBoatRich
    MagicMtnDan:
    I can see it now:
    * No Fishing
    * No Lake Lice
    * No Speed Limits
    * No Bathing Suit Tops
    * Cold Beer on Tap at convenient locations around the lake
    How much would you pay to go there for a day? Looks like a nice start on the rules, I want a yearly fee!

Thunderbutt
    ACCEPTENCE:
    It's a shit hole anyhow. Ya always got Piramid up the road, course it'a aint much better.
    Plan the weekend and go to the river instead. You'er right, I went to that lake when it first opened and its alwayes been a shit hole, no differant with piramid. And then father over the hill another shit hole something Vista. In fact all of the lakes in the LA area are shit holes. Like he said go to the river

cavey lavey
    i like dans idea, i got 5 on that 2.8 mil ticket. but would you give jet skies full acess to the lake?

Uplink
    The latest about the closure in todays news...
    State Threatens to Sue L.A. County Over Planned Castaic Lake Closure
    Due to a lack of funding, the popular recreation area is slated to shut down Sept. 7.
    By Michael Krikorian
    Times Staff Writer
    August 30, 2003
    Despite a threat by the state to sue if Castaic Lake State Recreation Area closes, Los Angeles County officials said Friday they cannot afford to keep it open after Sept. 7.
    California officials say Los Angeles County is legally bound to keep the facility open since it signed a 50-year contract with the state in 1969 to maintain, control and operate the lake.
    In an Aug. 22 letter to the county, state Deputy Atty. Gen. Todd Valdes wrote: "Any such failure by the county to perform as required by the operating agreement [of 1969] would be improper, constitute a material breach of the operating agreement "
    The letter concluded: "For the county to propose unilaterally breaching its legal obligations of 34 years and summarily abandoning its duty to protect the health and safety of the thousands who enjoy Castaic Lake is clearly unlawful."
    But county officials maintain that the state is causing the closure.
    "We believe Castaic Lake is a very important recreational place for county residents and for the economy of the surrounding community, but the state has fleeced our budget so much [that] the county can no longer afford to maintain it," said Tony Bell, spokesman for Supervisor Mike Antonovich, who represents the area.
    The 2,432-acre lake, popular for water-skiing, power boating, fishing, swimming and picnicking, generates about $1 million annually from fees, according to Sheila Ortega, spokeswoman for the county Department of Parks and Recreation. However, the county spends roughly $3.8 million a year on employees, maintenance and security at the site.
    Valdes declined to discuss the state's position, saying that it was "office policy not to discuss pending litigation."
    County and state officials still hope that an agreement can be reached to keep from closing the lake, which has as many as 800,000 visitors a year.
    "We are hoping and working behind the scenes with the county," said Steve Capps, a spokesman for California State Parks. "But we believe it's [Los Angeles County's] solution to find."
    Both sides said they would like to keep the lake open.
    "It's critical for recreational purposes and for the local economy that the lake remains open," said state Assemblyman Keith Richman (R-Northridge).
    "What's important is that the state and the county work together to ensure it stays open. But, the county can't simply walk away from their contractual responsibilities."
    County officials will meet Tuesday to discuss the situation, but, Ortega said: "Right now, though, it's pretty much with the attorneys."
    LA Times link

Kilrtoy
    What you dont realize is that for every boat that goes in there, There are 5 cars if not more going in there to use the park, The boating does not have as much impact as you think. But that accident did play a role
    I like that shit whole, due to the fact I dont have a place at the river and I cant afford to go every weekend or other weekend to the river.....
    Its a great place to go for a day.

LUVNLIFE
    We are 5 miles from the launch ramp and the lake is good enough to get the boat wet. Plus I never have had any problems there exept for bad boaters.

jackpunx
    I will really miss it if/when they close.. We went to Pyramid last week.. Talk about a sh%t hole.. Its smaller, further, and its a magnet for inexperienced boaters and PWC's .. I love being able to be on the water in an hr.. Its not perfect.. but its what we have that is local... I don’t see them creating another lake anytime soon.. I would be fine if instead of 12 $$ to get on the lake it was 20$$.. That should cover them.. and then they can figure out how to cut the fat in administration somewhere..
    I know we complain about it now.. But We will be bummed if they really do close it..

Mandelon
    800,000 users? 800,000 x $5.00 is $4,000,000. I can do the math. Can't the county????

You Te
    All employees take a cut in pay. It will now cost $18.00 to enter, problem sloved, next.
    Uncle Tony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast