Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stereo

nuboater
    Are there any Lavey's out there with some killer stereo systems? I'm talkin sub's, multiple amp's, clean and loud.
    Where are you guy's putting speakers?
    If you have any pic's of the install that would be cool.

nuboater
    One last thing...
    For the stereo guru's here.
    I currently am running 3 pairs of 6x9 Pioneer waterproof ( white case ).
    Will upgrading to 6x5's give me better mid?
    Is it worth it to make the upgrade from Pioneer 6x9's to say Mb Quart 6.5's
    What can I do to fit the 6.5's in the 6x9 hole?
    Also, considering adding a Neo 20 gig unit..anyone have experience with these?
    thanks

Froggystyle
    I would say that for sheer volume, nothing is going to compete with 6x9's. Lots of air moving, and they are pretty much bombproof with lots of power. That being said... the SQ (sound quality) leaves a lot to be desired for the most part.
    I think that a solid 6x9 setup with serious bass is a great way to build a boat audio system. We are not generally concerned with SQ, more for volume at the sandbar, what with all of the ambient noise and distortion. Run them with plenty of power, a good HPF for keeping bass out of them, and try to bring them up in the boat as much as you can, or at least image them upwards to a large degree and you will be very pleased with the overall result.
    BTW, I don't know anything about the Pioneer marine speakers, but I have had piles of luck with the Infinity Kappa 6x9's. Maybe Roz or HH can chime in with personal experience.
    What are you planning on for subs and amps?
    [ January 21, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

rivercrazy
    I got a few pairs of Infinity Kappa 693.5i 6X9's and am very happy with their performance so I can vouch for them. I also think 6X9's in a boating application is probably better than 6.5's but a pair of 6.5's help balance out the system.
    I really doubt you can go wrong with MB Quarts....Unless the company that recently bought the company changed the product line for the worse...

nuboater
    I have 2 fosgate 12's and a 400.2 amp..I'm not attached to them I can sell them if another brand would be a better fit.

nuboater
    I think what my major issue is that in the Lavey the speakers are so low to the ground. In the rear where the passengers sit they are right by your feet and even worse by the driver and co-captain.
    What can be done anout that?

Froggystyle
    Move them. Or, add more up higher.
    Your ankles have no true audio receptors so having them down low does exactly no good. If you have them low, you need to tilt them up for better imaging and clarity.
    Subs are omni-directional. They could care less where they are located, the sound will eminate from the source to fill your boat. Anything above 150 mhz (mid-low range level) will need to be essentially visible to your eye to be heard with any clarity or volume. To test it a little, turn on your home stereo loud. Stand in front of the speaker, and move away to the left or right of it. You will hear a marked diminishment of sound and clarity with only a 15 degree movement, and if you move to 45 degrees, the mid-highs nearly dissappear.
    Mids need elevation for volume in a boat. Get them as high as you can, and the same power will be twice as loud.
    [ January 21, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

nuboater
    Are you familiar at all with a 99' Laveycraft nuera? How high up can they go..what size would fit best?

nuboater
    What do you think about the amp and sub's?
    Just a thought...
    Can I build a box in the engine area that will hold 2 12's and port it into the cabin via a tube and include 1 or 2 pair of 6x9's? Will that even work or is it too much work for little return?

Froggystyle
    I have never been a big fan of using a port to transmit sound or bass reflex. The reason why a 12" speaker is louder than a 10" of comparable, proportional excursion is that you are creating a 12" wave from the speaker. Having that wave propagate from a 12" woofer into a passenger area will transmit all of your wave (given appropriate wavelength considerations). A port from a different enclosure (engine compartment) will effectively reduce your wavelength to the size of the port, and hope it regenerates for your listening enclosure.
    I know that seventh order bandpass defy this logic, but I think they are magic, and not subject to normal description. wink
    In any case, a serious amount of thought and math would need to go into how long your port was, what diameter, how it entered the box, what reflected waves you were trying to harness etc...
    Odds are math is going to conflict with required design.
    Build a new seatbase for the subs (like HH's) and re-locate the mids as high as you can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast