Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: SNOW?? Already?

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by 6 Dollar Boat
    Eagle, I drove down I 15 today and yes the fire burnt all of Miramar Marine Base East of the 15. There were Apts. just South of the fire that didn't get touched. The fire burned right up to the ice plant outside the chain link fence. The fire jumped about 10 lanes of Fwy and was stopped just outside the stables on the base.
    6$
    Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how the eastern part of Mira Mesa faired. Appreciate it.
    Rob E

Snowing... in the mountains
    And raining lightly here tonight, but very lightly.
    **** the heat, bring on winter. Like some freezing rain would be good right now.
    Fires are not out yet though and could jump right back up with a dry weather change which happens here alot after storms roll through. hope not. Firefighters in San Bernardino mountains tonight are in 20º weather and the fire isn't yet out. They were hauling truck loads of jackets up the mountain today for them. Just how strange is this place? Can be pretty strange.
    An area larger than Rhode Island has burned last week here. and almost 3000 homes, not to mention the likely several dozen dead yet to be found in some of those homes. I've seen alot of fires in my life here in So Cal but nothing even approaching this scale or intensity.

MANIC MECHANIC
    Hey, Mike. Good to hear from you agian. We were glad to hear in the other thread that your home and bussiness were spared in the fires and that you and the family are OK. Also happy to hear that the weather has turned to the advantage of the fire fighters. With all the smoke and heat from the fires I bet they have been absolutely miserable in the heat. Of course, We've been watching it on the news, and all I can say is, unbelievable! The stories of lives and homes lost are truly heartwrenching. Our sympathy and prayers go out to all of you, especially those who have lost a home or loved one in this tragedy. Aren't the out of control fires a semi regular occurance? When they had the last really big fires about ten years ago I seem to remember a lot of talk about doing some controlled burning and clearing out deadwood etc. as well as setting things up to be more prepared to fight them. Was that any of that done? Not pointing fingers, just curious. Are they about to get control of the fires now? How bad is the smoke? Hope this comes to a conclusion soon-Keep us up to date with what's going on...............On the lighter side....It's Indian summer here, sunny and 77 today. Might even get the boat out one more time. Tim & Beverly

Originally posted by MANIC MECHANIC
    Hey, Mike. Good to hear from you agian. We were glad to hear in the other thread that your home and bussiness were spared in the fires and that you and the family are OK. Also happy to hear that the weather has turned to the advantage of the fire fighters. With all the smoke and heat from the fires I bet they have been absolutely miserable in the heat. Of course, We've been watching it on the news, and all I can say is, unbelievable! The stories of lives and homes lost are truly heartwrenching. Our sympathy and prayers go out to all of you, especially those who have lost a home or loved one in this tragedy. Aren't the out of control fires a semi regular occurance? When they had the last really big fires about ten years ago I seem to remember a lot of talk about doing some controlled burning and clearing out deadwood etc. as well as setting things up to be more prepared to fight them. Was that any of that done? Not pointing fingers, just curious. Are they about to get control of the fires now? How bad is the smoke? Hope this comes to a conclusion soon-Keep us up to date with what's going on...............On the lighter side....It's Indian summer here, sunny and 77 today. Might even get the boat out one more time. Tim & Beverly
    At this point the fires are burning in a "controlled" environment, not to be confused with being "out". The smoke was very bad while we had the offshore wind a week ago. Since that changed all the smoke's blown into the desert, Havasu, Parker and beyond. It's actually been very clear here the last couple days. Fires are a regular occurance here yes but not in the intensity and scope these have been. They believe arsonist(s) are responsible for most of these. These guys wait till its real dry and the wind blows then start lighting them off. At one point I think there were 12-15 distinctly different fires going, all large, and it pretty much overwhelmed the firefighting resources. One or two large fires would have most likely been easier to fight effectively at one time. Most of the fires were in brush. Brush here covers all the mountains up to the tree line so it's a little misleading in name. Also it's not grass or something you just find by the side of the road. Its heavy and very dense and thick brush up to 20 feet high and burns very intensly and hot. Lots of oily natural bushes in our hills and mountains and they burn like a mofo. And housing tracts continually are being built adjacent to these areas. (Called money driven housing). It's a natural recipe for disaster. Add our seasonal Santa Ana winds to the equation and you have a fire storm that cannot be stopped. Best case is structure protection and that even is marginal many times.
    The dead tree dealio in the forests is a little different issue but one the fires get right into as they're pretty indicriminate in what they burn. The environmentalists have in one way or another blocked thinning of our forests for many many years contrary to the advice of forest managers and fire folks. Now we have a situation where there are too many trees to be supported in drought conditions (not enough water for healthy trees of this number) making them prime targets for these bark beatles apparently (because of too many trees being allowed per acre). Half the trees are dead now I've heard with a much higher percentage gonna be dead soon I hear, like up to 90%. It's a serious problem and the forests are massive (and populated). Just because this one fire has been stopped doesn't take away the potential for disaster. If these dead and dying trees aren't removed this winter (unlikely), my guess is we're primed for even bigger and nastier fires next year and beyond, possibly threatening all the mountain resorts and cities. The area that burned in the forest last week while large, represents a relatively small area compared to the total forest area of So Cal that is at risk.

MANIC MECHANIC
    Beautiful day here today,
    74 and sunny.
    Hope everyone made the best of it!
    Tim

Beautiful here today too... 60º and raining. just the way we like it.

MANIC MECHANIC
    Ahh, Role reversal huh?......
    Ahem....
    We had the warmest day on record today for the city of Princeton for the month of Nov.
    79 and sunny.
    It was just incredible!
    I took my boat out and Blah, Blah, Blah,Best time of my life!
    You know the drill!
    Hope everything's calming down out there Mike.
    Not much on the news about it today.
    Tim

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by MANIC MECHANIC
    Ahh, Role reversal huh?......
    Ahem....
    We had the warmest day on record today for the city of Princeton for the month of Nov.
    79 and sunny.
    It was just incredible!
    I took my boat out and Blah, Blah, Blah,Best time of my life!
    You know the drill!
    Hope everything's calming down out there Mike.
    Not much on the news about it today.
    Tim
    Nice, just watch where your cigerette butts get tossed....
    Just kidding!
    I am really kind of glad it has started raining here. Besides the good effect on the fires, we need the water.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910