Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rescue California

Seadog
    Summerlove, electrical deregulation works very well under the right rules. What GD and cronies did was to allow only partial deregulation. CA has put out a lot of crap about how the energy companies screwed the state, but the reality is that the state's incompetence left little other recourse. Yeah a few greed heads pushed the limits, but most of the energy producing states have had an earful of CA's "You can't produce your dirty electricity here, but we want it for less than anyone else" attitude.

summerlove
    Seadog:
    I agree - but it wasn't GD that set up the rules - It was the Pete Wilson adminstration. The deregulation passed the state legislature by a vote of 80-0 and the state senate by a vote of 39-1. Gray Davis wasn't even governor then. You can't blame him for screwing it up. And BTW, ENRON DID screw california! That said, I still am not a big fan of his (GD that is).

v-drive
    Yes summerlove PW did lower vehicle registration but only after he raised it for awhile to generate some much needed revenue. When that was done he brought it back into line. No this one is on GD and his cronies V-drive
    [ June 25, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

summerlove:
    Seadog:
    I agree - but it wasn't GD that set up the rules - It was the Pete Wilson adminstration. The deregulation passed the state legislature by a vote of 80-0 and the state senate by a vote of 39-1. Gray Davis wasn't even governor then. You can't blame him for screwing it up. And BTW, ENRON DID screw california! That said, I still am not a big fan of his (GD that is). Maybe Enron screwed Calif but paybacks are indeed a bitch. This all started when Ca. told Enron to take the long term contracts for elecricity and stick 'em where the sun don't shine so Ca. could purchase power on the spot market [at that time spot market prices were competitive] this put Enron in a very tight bind as Ca. was its only major customer, this almost bankrupted Enron. The CEO @ Enron took no salary or bonuses for 18 months until the co. got back on its feet. Ca. was locked in to the spot market now because Enron told Ca. to piss up a rope, you ****ed us so now we are ****ing you. Grayout Davis has a big chance to head off this disaster when San Diego went thru their brown-outs and high prices and GD did nothing except keep paying the extremely high spot market price. He took a 12 billion dollar surplus and turned it into a 38 billion dollar deficit. In my opinion he lied to us about the deficit [28b vs.38b] and he is a lousy businessman. He's not qualified to run the state and should be removed at once.

eliminatedsprinter
    summerlove:
    Seadog:
    I agree - but it wasn't GD that set up the rules - It was the Pete Wilson adminstration. The deregulation passed the state legislature by a vote of 80-0 and the state senate by a vote of 39-1. Gray Davis wasn't even governor then. You can't blame him for screwing it up. And BTW, ENRON DID screw california! That said, I still am not a big fan of his (GD that is). The energy fiasco was grossly mishandled by Davis.
    However, it is but a small part of the overall problem. Despite the dot com failures and the nations economic slump, CA's revenues have actually increased by over 20% over the last 4 years and inflation for the same priod has been only 6% (total). We should be in very good shape.
    However, Davis and the far left wing of our states legislature have recklessly increased spending by approx 40% during this period. Our states spending deficit is larger than all the other states combined and our state legislature is still passing looney laws that will only reduce revenues further and ^ spending even more. burningm
    It's so nutty it looks like they are actually trying to drive out all those nasty affluent republican types, so they can have an impoverished solidly democratic welfare state to run forever. devil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123