Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AZ. Tax Attorney / Havasu Deliveries

mbrown2
    Anyone taking delivery in AZ should consider using a Parker AZ address.
    The Tax rate is about 3 to4% less down there compaired to Havasu.
    Exactly, I took delivery in Parker.....and Parker address; Havasu rapes the out of state deliveries...

buzzaro
    I live in N Cal and just bought a boat in Havasu, I am not sure of how much of this will apply to your particular situation but here are all the things i found during my research.
    Luxury Tax- There is no luxury tax in Ca or any state for that matter, there is a 1% (of the value of the boat) property tax in Ca.
    AZ Sales Tax- in AZ there is no sales tax between PRIVATE parties, however there is sales tax if purchased from a dealer. I believe the tax rate is 7.8% in havasu.
    CA Sales Tax - if the boat is brought into CA and registered within 12 mo. of purchase you will be required to pay the tax of the county you register the boat in, however when you provide proof of sales tax already paid CA will get the tax from AZ and either credit you or charge you the difference in the two tax rates.
    Hopefully this helps a little, also you can call the state board of equalization (CA or AZ) and they can help answer questions on this matter as well.

Havasu Cig
    I live in N Cal and just bought a boat in Havasu, I am not sure of how much of this will apply to your particular situation but here are all the things i found during my research.
    Luxury Tax- There is no luxury tax in Ca or any state for that matter, there is a 1% (of the value of the boat) property tax in Ca.
    AZ Sales Tax- in AZ there is no sales tax between PRIVATE parties, however there is sales tax if purchased from a dealer. I believe the tax rate is 7.8% in havasu.
    CA Sales Tax - if the boat is brought into CA and registered within 12 mo. of purchase you will be required to pay the tax of the county you register the boat in, however when you provide proof of sales tax already paid CA will get the tax from AZ and either credit you or charge you the difference in the two tax rates.
    Hopefully this helps a little, also you can call the state board of equalization (CA or AZ) and they can help answer questions on this matter as well.
    Thanks, I have done a lot of research and everything you said is pretty much right on. The tax rate in Havasu is actually 7.6 when you add in state tax. The problems I am having is they are trying to penalize me for something the dealer should have taken care of. Because of this the CPA I talked to thinks I can get out of penalties but not the interest. I just wanted to talk to an attorney before I write the check, because California won't charge penalties or interest unless it is a second offense or it was intentional. Looking back I should have told AZ to stick it up their a$$ instead of cooperating and giving them everything they asked for when they really should have been going through the dealer.

buzzaro
    Thanks, I have done a lot of research and everything you said is pretty much right on. The tax rate in Havasu is actually 7.6 when you add in state tax. The problems I am having is they are trying to penalize me for something the dealer should have taken care of. Because of this the CPA I talked to thinks I can get out of penalties but not the interest. I just wanted to talk to an attorney before I write the check, because California won't charge penalties or interest unless it is a second offense or it was intentional. Looking back I should have told AZ to stick it up their a$$ instead of cooperating and giving them everything they asked for when they really should have been going through the dealer.
    Did you pay the tax amount to the dealer? And if so, do you still have your Bill of Sale or other documentation showing the amount of tax you paid to the dealer? When I bought my boat in AZ i paid the sales tax (at the havasu rate) to the dealer, and when i register the boat here in CA i just need to prove to them that i already paid the tax and then we go from there. I do empathize with you though, the whole tax thing was driving me nuts and was almost enough to back out of the deal completely. I spent countless hours on the phone with my accountant and the boat dealer and the board of equalization in both AZ and CA :argue:

JLaughreySS24
    No luxury tax? I guess its called personel property tax now and that is 1% or a grand a year on a 100,000 boat!! AZ is still a better deal.

buzzaro
    No luxury tax? I guess its called personel property tax now and that is 1% or a grand a year on a 100,000 boat!! AZ is still a better deal.
    Yeah, it starts to be less expensive to have the boat in AZ at around 40k value or so, the difference in registration should be looked at as well, of course I live in N Cal so it makes it a little tougher to pull off the AZ reg thing. All that being said, I believe the luxury tax was 10% so 1% doesnt sound so bad after hearing that

Havasu Cig
    BTW, I am sitting here looking at the breakdown and Havasu gets almost $5000.00 because delivery was taken in their city limits. With a tax rate like that maybe I need to buy a house outside the City Limits.

prosthogod
    I took delivery in Havasu, but registered with the game and fish in chandler, only paid a use tax ~5%. if you need a tax attourney in phoenix try James Benham (602)254-6044). His wife is also my accountant.

Havasu Cig
    I took delivery in Havasu, but registered with the game and fish in chandler, only paid a use tax ~5%. if you need a tax attourney in phoenix try James Benham (602)254-6044). His wife is also my accountant.
    Thanks for the info, I am getting ready to send the check minus the penalties per the advice from the CPA I talked too, but I would like to speak with an attorney first.

ROZ
    Hey Cig,
    You have a gold truck with a shell and a Skater sticker on the back window?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast