Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coast guard requirements on board your boats.

Biglue
    We all have them on our boats, we all should at least.
    The one question I have always wondered is where do you guys store all your throw cusions, spare life vests? I keep the ones we use in the storage locker under the open bow section. The throw cusions are behind the mid cabin seats (very easy to get to actually). I also keep a first aid kit in the same areas as the throw cusions. Also in my mid cabin is the fire extinguisher, air horns a flares. When I have other people on board, the spare life vests are in the engine compartment. Would any of you know if a LEO or Coast Guard may have an issue on the storage practices?

Havasu_Dreamin
    I keep all of the PFD's under the rear seat cushion. Fortunately our rear seat is three cushions as opposed to one long cushion so only the one cushion needs to be accessible. I've got a fire extinguisher mounted at the driversÂ’ helm in addition to the automatic halon system in engine compartment. First aid kit is in the cuddy under the seat cushion on the starboard side. Throw cushion is in the cuddy on the seats for easy access.

NOTALENT
    a little late buddy...but thats ok.... :crossx:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    This is interesting, made me think.....I think we keep all of our floatation stuff deep under the closed bow. Not very accessable in an emergency.... :idea: Might have to re-think.....

Biglue
    This is interesting, made me think.....I think we keep all of our floatation stuff deep under the closed bow. Not very accessable in an emergency.... :idea: Might have to re-think.....
    That's my point. Would accessability be an issue if I were to get inspected by any authorities. Keeping a neat and tidy boat seems like a little bit of a trade off doesn't it?

Havasu_Dreamin
    That's my point. Would accessability be an issue if I were to get inspected by any authorities. Keeping a neat and tidy boat seems like a little bit of a trade off doesn't it?
    Boatcop would have the realw orld answer, but yes, I believe you would at the very least get a stern warning if everything is buried and difficult to get to in the event of an emergency.

Ziggy
    Think about it Lue :idea: Even though its recommended to wear vests not many do so accessibility should be easy. But with many boaters they are either put away under the engine hatch or tossed up deep under the bow so they don't blow away.......and for asthetics so they don't de-bling the boats.
    Kinda a catch 22 the way I see it.........we all make those choices every trip out.

Mrs. casean
    Think about it Lue :idea: Even though its recommended to wear vests not many do so accessibility should be easy. But with many boaters they are either put away under the engine hatch or tossed up deep under the bow so they don't blow away.......and for asthetics so they don't de-bling the boats.
    Kinda a catch 22 the way I see it.........we all make those choices every trip out.
    The "spare" life jackets are under the hatch for us... ours are under a seat... it would be difficult to get them from under the hatch easily in some events I'm sure Good point Ziggy! :idea:

JB in so cal
    The "spare" life jackets are under the hatch for us... ours are under a seat... it would be difficult to get them from under the hatch easily in some events I'm sure Good point Ziggy! :idea:
    Ziggy races without a helmet. What does he know ?

Mrs. casean
    Ziggy races without a helmet. What does he know ?
    Maybe nothing then :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast