Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody going out in the ocean this weekend??

Steamin' Rice
    Assuming the weather is decent, we're thinking of heading out on Sun this weekend. Is anybody else going to be going out?
    We'll most likely leave from Newport and then head up to Long Beach for lunch and then back to Newport...Anybody else up for it??

Lightning
    I don't know what size boat you are in, however their is a tropical storm off of Southern Cali that is going to be sending in a good size swell. It's supposed to peak on Friday and hanf around on Saturday. Below is a couple of Service Bulletains from the National Weather service....
    Marine weather statement
    National Weather Service los angeles/oxnard ca
    300 PM PDT Wed Sep 4 2002
    ...A high Surf advisory has been issued for the beaches of Ventura
    and Los Angeles counties through Friday...
    Tropical storm Hernan...Located 910 Miles South Southwest of Point
    Conception...Will generate large Southerly swell across the coastal
    Waters of southern California this afternoon through Friday. As this
    large Southerly swell moves in...It will generate high Surf along the
    beaches of Ventura and Los Angeles counties...As well as the South
    facing coast of Catalina Island.
    Tonight and Thursday...Surf along the beaches is expected to build
    to 5 to 8 feet...With sets up to 10 feet along well exposed South
    facing beaches. The high Surf will slowly diminish Thursday night
    and Friday.
    With high astronomical tides between 6 and 7 feet expected this
    evening and Thursday evening...Minor Tidal overflow will be
    possible across low lying beach areas.
    Remember that large Surf often produces dangerous rip currents for
    those venturing into the Surf zone. If caught in a rip current...
    do not swim against it. Instead...Swim parallel to shore until
    Free of the powerful current.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hazardous weather Outlook
    National Weather Service los angeles/oxnard ca
    230 PM PDT Wed Sep 4 2002
    ...Remnants of Hernan will bring clouds and showers to southern and
    Central California tonight through Friday night...
    Hernan...Which has been downgraded to a weak tropical storm...Is
    currently centered about 950 Miles Southwest of Los Angeles. It is
    forecast to continue to weaken and move slowly towards the West. As it
    does...Moisture from it will move North towards southern
    California...Bringing clouds and a chance of showers and thunderstorms
    late tonight and continuing off and on through Friday night.
    The Best chance for measurable rain will be from Point Conception
    South Thursday night into Friday morning. Overall...Rainfall amounts
    are expected to be less than one quarter inch. However...Isolated
    amounts much heavier than that are possible with thunderstorms. As a
    Result...Residents...Particularly those near recently burned areas
    should be on the Alert for possible flooding as a Result of heavy
    rain.
    It should be noted that there is still quite a high degree of
    uncertainty with this weather pattern. Rainfall the next couple days
    is by no means a sure thing everywhere in southern California. Showers
    and storms will be hit and miss and some places May not get any rain
    at all. However...Due to it's tropical nature...The potential exists
    for heavy rain which could cause localized flooding...Particularly
    near burn areas.
    Stay tuned for further updates as this weather pattern develops.
    listen to noaa weather radio or your local Media Station for the
    latest weather information.

Steamin' Rice
    Thanks for the info...I had heard that there could be big swells this weekend, and we probably won't head out if there's still a big swell on Sun...
    Looks like perfect conditions for Cigarette1 though...

maxbowride
    This doesen't sound that bad to me, just stay away from the shallows and use caution entering and exiting the inlets. Local knowlege of shallow areas is the key as the swells from the storm are not constant, they come in groups and if you are caught in a shallow area eek!
    COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND OUT 30 NM- WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER EXTENDING 30 TO 60 NM OUT INCLUDING SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND- 330 PM PDT WED SEP 4 2002
    ...HIGH SURF ADVISORY FOR SURF 7 FEET OR GREATER IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY MAINLY ON SOUTH FACING BEACHES...
    .TONIGHT...WIND SOUTHWEST 10 KT BECOMING LIGHT WITH WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. SWELL S 5 TO 7 FT AT 13 SECONDS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS...MAINLY NORTH. LOCAL GUSTY WINDS IN SHOWERS. .THU...WIND LIGHT...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT AFTERNOON WITH WIND WAVES 2 FT. SWELL S 5 TO 7 FT AT 13 SECONDS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS...MAINLY NORTH. LOCAL GUSTY WINDS IN SHOWERS. .THU NIGHT AND FRI...WIND LIGHT NIGHT AND MORNING...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT AFTERNOON WITH WIND WAVES 2 FT. SWELL S 5 TO 7 FT AT 13 SECONDS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS. LOCAL GUSTY WINDS IN SHOWERS. .FRI NIGHT...WIND LIGHT WITH WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. SWELL S 5 FT SUBSIDING TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS...MAINLY SOUTH. LOCAL GUSTY WINDS IN SHOWERS. .SAT...WIND LIGHT NIGHT AND MORNING...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT AFTERNOON WITH WIND WAVES 2 FT. SWELL MIXED S AND W 2 TO 4 FT. .SUN...WIND LIGHT NIGHT AND MORNING...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT AFTERNOON WITH WIND WAVES 2 FT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. .MON...WIND LIGHT NIGHT AND MORNING...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT AFTERNOON WITH WIND WAVES 2 FT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

shockwavebd
    I was down in newport beach today just to watch the guys body surf the wedge some pretty big sets totally awesome. Id check before I went out eek! eek! eek!

HBjet
    shockwavebd:
    I was down in newport beach today just to watch the guys body surf the wedge some pretty big sets totally awesome. Id check before I went out eek! eek! eek! hey, I was down there too around 1pm. (Chopper and news vans present)
    The waves were big, but I've seen bigger there. I was tripping out on the brown house across the jetty that was getting water splashed as high as their lower deck. Never seen that before, being that it's inside the jetty.

jm2drvr
    one of my customers today told me today that the waves were about 15-18ft at the wedge, were they that big? eek! eek! eek!

CA Stu
    maxbowride:
    COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND OUT 30 NM- WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER EXTENDING 30 TO 60 NM OUT INCLUDING SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND- 330 PM PDT WED SEP 4 2002
    ...HIGH SURF ADVISORY FOR SURF 7 FEET OR GREATER IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY MAINLY ON SOUTH FACING BEACHES...
    SNIP
    Could you please enlighten me where to get these reports?
    I am planning on a little Catalina jaunt Sat., don't want to have a repeat of my ill-fated one in 1994...
    In a nutshell, I thought I was more manly than a "small craft advisory" , went out to Avalon, spent the night on the boat, cracked the hull on my '76 Apollo right down the stringer and ended up limping back to Newport at a hell of a list.... What an adventure, and thank goodness for insurance!
    Older, wiser, and better looking every day
    CA Stu

cigarette1
    CA Stu .... from the looks of things, I don't think you want to make that crossing this weekend ... Reports of a hurricane hangin' out, south of Baja, should make for some ... ah'hem, interesting waters(read:BIG)
    Last weekend kept more than a few big boats inside the harbor and this weekendlooks to be bigger. eek!

Steamin' Rice
    cigarette1:
    CA Stu .... from the looks of things, I don't think you want to make that crossing this weekend ... Reports of a hurricane hangin' out, south of Baja, should make for some ... ah'hem, interesting waters(read:BIG)
    Last weekend kept more than a few big boats inside the harbor and this weekendlooks to be bigger. eek! If it doesn't die down by Sun I don't think we'll be heading out...
    Like I said, looks like ideal conditions for Cig1....."Air-G airlines leaving for Long Beach... "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast