Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which brand to buy??

Speedy
    Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with their Donzi or Powerquest???

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by 25 Outlaw 502:
    I don't know what drive ratio I have but I will have the service department check
    Hey Larry,
    Sounds like you're on top of the GPS & tach situation. I'm not a bettin' man (OK, maybe a little), but with those numbers, I would bet $1 that you have the tall gears in the drive. Perhaps they are avoiding the subject to keep from switching drives?
    Some food for thought- if you can get your 1.5 ratio drive to spin these numbers:
    5,000RPMs w/23" prop @ 11% slip = 65MPH
    4,800RPMs w/25" prop @ 11% slip = 67MPH
    Lab finish will remove a little slip and maybe give you a few more RPMs, but the rest is the motor, boat & setup. There's a prop speed/slip calculator at: http://boatpropellers.com/propcalc.html
    Good luck, & let me know how it turns out! http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy43.gif
    Jeff

Russ Walker
    I have to jump in and answer the first question. I picked up the first 22ZX Donzi sold in the state of New Mexico and I have not regretted it at all! Baja is a major player around here, but I just blow away any Baja in my class. The Baja dealer should thank me, because lots of Baja owners have spent lots of bucks to beat "That Damned Donzi"

Speedy
    Thanks for the info RW. Glad to hear about your "Damned Donzi". I test drove a '98 22zx and that boat really moved and handled great. I really like the Donzi's. The only problem is we live in Wisconsin and the nearest Donzi dealer is in Michigan (don't ask me why no one sells them around here with all the boating that takes place in WI). I would like to buy from a local dealer for maintenance and warranty reasons, etc. Baja's are major players around here as well. Nice boats but I've heard both good and bad. I've only heard good things about Donzi's so far. I heard a rumor that Donzi might be or maybe already has been bought out by Brunswick Marine??? (Brunswick makes Baja, Sea Ray, Maxum) Any truth to the story??
    Thanks
    Speedy

25 Outlaw 502
    Good luck, & let me know how it turns out!
    Jeff, Going tomorrow to run the boat with the service dept again with GPS. Do you know of any way you can look at the drive to determine the gear ratio or must it involve disassembly?
    Larry

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by 25 Outlaw 502:
    Do you know of any way you can look at the drive to determine the gear ratio or must it involve disassembly?
    Hey Larry,
    I don't want to steer you wrong, so your best bet is probably to call a Merc mechanic or outdrive shop. I'm sure someone like Teague would know.
    Jeff

BillR
    Donzi builds a fine boat.
    However, in my biased opinion . . .
    I bought a PQ 280. I looked at: Formula, Velocity, Scarab, Warlock, Baja, Donzi, Sonic, Powerplay, Sunsation and a few more that I cannot remember.
    For ME, the PQ was overwhelmingly what I wanted. The cockpit was larger than any of the other 28' boats. The cabin was roomy too. The build quality was comparable to some of the best, gel work was as good as the best, rigging was the best, quality of hardware was better than most. All the screw heads in the boat are lined up, the hull is not wavy like most (not all) of the boats at which I looked. I went to the factory and saw my boat being built, the workers there seemed like they enjoyed what they were doing. Check out my boat and the PQ factory tour: http://home.infi.net/~brip/index.html
    After the sale, the level of service I have received from PQ is superb. In fact (after owning many boats) PQ's customer service is the absolute best I have come across!!!
    Great rough water boat, DRY no water in face or on the windscreen.
    After many boats I have finally found the best boat for ME, I am 110% satisfied with my boat (how many of you will say that) and will probably buy a larger PQ in the future.
    BillR
    check out the review: http://archive.powerboatmag.com/1998...eature005.html

sea buddy
    How about a 226 Cobalt with a425 hp 496 ho?Seventy-seventy two on the speedo. Five years on the engine, drive, steering, gauges, etc. and 10 on the hull and deck and structure, all standard. Great ride, too.

RumRunner
    For the money you can't beat a Sunsation. The boats you're looking at are very good, but they are also a bit pricy for a first boat. Sunsation is a company on the move UP.
    There boats are very good quality, and will out handle the others you're looking at. They are a little tighter than the Donzi, or Baja's but that makes em handle. Also they have some of the best customer service I've ever seen from any company. I bought a used boat, had some questions, and the COO of the company called me himself. If you go to www.offshoreonly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com) go to the message board
    and ask the Sunsation owners there opinion.
    Doug

Speedy
    Thanks RumRunner. What Size/model Sunsation did you buy? where is Sunsation made? do they have a website?
    Speedy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast