Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing up an Ellis Trailer on a Hill?

mmered8299
    I got this new boat with an Ellis trailer and the brakes lock up when backing up a hill. There is no place to stick a pin to keep the tongue part from moving up into the trailer. My Garage is elevated from the street. Does anybody now of a trick to keep the brakes from surgeing?

JetBoatRich
    wedge
    [ January 19, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

HBjet
    use a 2x4. It worked for an Extreme trailer. Use the 2x4 to keep the front of the tongue from sliding back into the rest of the tailer, which causes the brakes to lock.
    HBjet

Hustler
    can you see where the surge portion of the tongue slides in the trailer? there is a bracket that layes on top of the trailer and kinda slips in on the side to keep the tongue from sliding. I'll bet the dealer did'nt bother to give it to you. Call Bob at Ellis I'm sure he'll send you one.

jet4fun
    move to flat ground

Have Bob install an electric bypass valve that is operated from your backup light.
    He did it for me and it works fine.

LVjetboy
    I have an Ellis with surge...has a knob on the side of the tongue that says "towing position" and "backup only" I can put it in "backup only" and disengages the tongue lever for backing. Easy. To tell you the truth, I actually never use the knob even though my driveway is quite steep. Just power on though. But then my brakes are long shot. Brand new I used it a couple times, then decided no big deal.
    jer

gmnhra
    a "c" clamp to stop the slide portion also does the trick...

malo
    Ellis trailers equipped with the Buddy Model A-60
    actuator use a brake lockout bracket that goes over the top frame and slides into the side of the actuator. Part # if you need it is 34557

Mandelon
    I know, you could get a trailer for the trailer. But just for when you backed up.... wink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast