Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand.....

Catmando
    Highroller,
    1. Read the First Amendment
    2. Read it again
    3. There is NO mention of a god in the Constitution
    4. What if Moore was a Muslim or a Buddhist. Would you feel the same about the Muslim Ten, or the Buddhist Ten, etc.?

beached 1
    Ok I'll bite too.
    So then should we remove
    "In God We Trust" from the dollar?
    Really, who gives a rats ass? If the 10 commandments were there or not. I say if it was there in the first place, then leave it alone. I'd rather our courts be concerned with more important issues instead of wether or not to have a friggin monument somewhere.

diggler
    beached 1:
    Ok I'll bite too.
    So then should we remove
    The word "God" in the court's opinion (not necessarily mine), is considered a generic title. Muslims have their "God", Judaism has their "God", Christians have their "God", Hindus have their "God", and so on...
    Because there is no distinction between religious/cultural lines, it has been allowed to stay.
    The 10 Commandments are a very specific icon of the judaio-christian religion. Someone had mentioned to me earlier, "well if they allow the 10 Commandments, then they should allow all other religious icons within each courthouse". It would be interesting to see Ganeesh, the God of Hinduism, posed next to the 10 Commandments.

OGShocker
    diggler:
    beached 1:
    Ok I'll bite too.
    So then should we remove
    The word "God" in the court's opinion (not necessarily mine), is considered a generic title. Muslims have their "God", Judaism has their "God", Christians have their "God", Hindus have their "God", and so on...
    Because there is no distinction between religious/cultural lines, it has been allowed to stay.Muslims, Jews and Christians believe in the same God, The Muslims follow the teachings of the warrior prophet Mohammad. The Christians followed the baby Jesus'(a Jew) teachings.
    The problem I have with this deal in Alabama, is a problem with the Federal Govt' dictating control over a State's policy of dispaying any object period. They do not have that authority(from what I can see).
    My .02

HavasuBarney
    I'm just wondering about all the other gods, should'nt we be allowed to hear from them?
    Doesn't the first commandment say something like,
    Thou shall put no other gods before me
    Doesn't that imply there has to be other gods?
    I know that sounds a bit like HH in the cocktails line but I just think it's a bit selfish. OK, maybe not a fair comparision, HH is normanlly happy to bring drinks for others also!
    So then should we remove
    "In God We Trust" from the dollar?No, they are talking about the Federal Reserve gods. You know the ones they pray to so they aren't held accountable....

diggler
    OGShocker:
    diggler:
    beached 1:
    Ok I'll bite too.
    So then should we remove
    Because there is no distinction between religious/cultural lines, it has been allowed to stay.The problem I have with this deal in Alabama, is a problem with the Federal Govt' dictating control over a State's policy of dispaying any object period. They do not have that authority(from what I can see).
    My .02 The First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
    This is a Federal issue as State courts do not have the jurisdiction to deal on this subject matter issue. Because the Federal Courts have "Binding Authority" over all lower courts, each State must follow the rule here. Here is our hierarchy of laws.
    1. Constitution is our highest law
    2. Statutes or ordinances
    3. Administrative regulations
    4. judge-made law

JustMVG
    Why do we put our right hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you/me god in court???? Where's the "Separation of church and state" ??

beached 1
    HavasuBarney:
    No, they are talking about the Federal Reserve gods. You know the ones they pray to so they aren't held accountable.... Ah. Amen to them. The real gods!

OGShocker
    diggler:
    OGShocker:
    diggler:
    beached 1:
    Ok I'll bite too.
    So then should we remove
    Because there is no distinction between religious/cultural lines, it has been allowed to stay.The problem I have with this deal in Alabama, is a problem with the Federal Govt' dictating control over a State's policy of dispaying any object period. They do not have that authority(from what I can see).
    My .02 The First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
    This is a Federal issue as State courts do not have the jurisdiction to deal on this subject matter issue. Because the Federal Courts have "Binding Authority" over all lower courts, each State must follow the rule here. Here is our hierarchy of laws.
    1. Constitution is our highest law
    2. Statutes or ordinances
    3. Administrative regulations
    4. judge-made law I think you make my point for me. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Congress did nothing here. Alabama placed a monument in a "State of Alabama" owned facility. The Judge did not establish a religion. The Federal Judge may have prohibited the free excercise of religion.
    In quoting the Constitution the we must look deeper in to the "spirit of the laws" by reading the Federalist Papers. These are the backbone of the Constitution. Click here for more..

HavasuBarney
    MandMVG:
    Why do we put our right hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you/me god in court???? Where's the "Separation of church and state" ?? I think it's raise your right hand...
    IMO, the Judge IS GOD!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast