Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Democrats linked to Adolf Hitler

eliminatedsprinter
    Mickeyfinn
    I like how you think.
    [ August 15, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

AzDon
    I get the concept of shifting the entire tax burden to sales taxes, but I think it would put the brakes on shopping and create a "Black Market", especially for big-ticket items. I think many people would refuse to buy new and choose used (already taxed) items.
    I came up with the "worldwide gross" idea as a way of making foriegn companies pay for the damage they do to our economy by adding a layer of taxes to their cheap-ass products. They COULD choose not to sell here and that would be fine with me!

mickeyfinn
    AzDon:
    I get the concept of shifting the entire tax burden to sales taxes, but I think it would put the brakes on shopping and create a "Black Market", especially for big-ticket items. I think many people would refuse to buy new and choose used (already taxed) items.
    I came up with the "worldwide gross" idea as a way of making foriegn companies pay for the damage they do to our economy by adding a layer of taxes to their cheap-ass products. They COULD choose not to sell here and that would be fine with me! The foreign company thing could be addressed with REAL import taxes. As far as people buying used do you really think that is a big issue? It would give the lower income people a way to avoid some taxes if they purchased things such as autos from an individual. If a car is used and up for resale by a business then it would be subject to the sales tax just as they are today in areas with sales tax. The only real problem I have with the retail sales tax is a concern on behalf of the older generation who have already been saving money that they have already paid taxes on. It would not be fair to this group to tax them again when they spend it.(and N:ck said we lack compassion..we only lack compassion for the the lazy..Not the people who have worked hard and contributed). Even if we go to this system we will make the problem worse on those in poverty unless we establish don't tax neccesities such as food, drugs and medical care.

AzDon
    mickeyfinn Sounds to me like your beliefs on taxation really make you a closet republican or maybe even a libertarian.
    Welcome to the club!!! [/QB]People have been too busy assuming that I represent all their negative stereotypes that they haven't paid attention to a thing I've actually said.
    I believe that every function of the government's expenditures should make economic sense! I do not believe in "entitlements" per se, but believe that all social programs should be administered by the military, whose only assistance should be to those who enlist. The help would be humane and civilized, but not free! I also deplore foriegn aid payments, our membership in the U.N. and all treaties that claim to be "free trade" agreements because most of them aren't fair to U.S. interests! I deplore the "pork" or federal money doled back for local projects. How about they don't take that money from us in the first place and we'll pay for the projects locally? I also don't believe government has any business supporting the "ARTS"
    I do believe that the government should have a mission to prevent industries such as oil, medicine, and the energy traders from racketeering, price fixing, or otherwise taking advantage of American consumers. We should be able to have complete confidence that our government is doing the business of government efficiently and watching out for the interests of ordinary citizen so our economy can remain healthy!

mickeyfinn
    AzDon:
    mickeyfinn Sounds to me like your beliefs on taxation really make you a closet republican or maybe even a libertarian.
    Welcome to the club!!! People have been too busy assuming that I represent all their negative stereotypes that they haven't paid attention to a thing I've actually said.
    I believe that every function of the government's expenditures should make economic sense! I do not believe in "entitlements" per se, but believe that all social programs should be administered by the military, whose only assistance should be to those who enlist. The help would be humane and civilized, but not free! I also deplore foriegn aid payments, our membership in the U.N. and all treaties that claim to be "free trade" agreements because most of them aren't fair to U.S. interests! I deplore the "pork" or federal money doled back for local projects. How about they don't take that money from us in the first place and we'll pay for the projects locally? I also don't believe government has any business supporting the "ARTS"
    I do believe that the government should have a mission to prevent industries such as oil, medicine, and the energy traders from racketeering, price fixing, or otherwise taking advantage of American consumers. We should be able to have complete confidence that our government is doing the business of government efficiently and watching out for the interests of ordinary citizen so our economy can remain healthy! [/QB]OK...ITS official.
    AZDON is a card carrying Libertarian.
    GO DON!!!!

MagicMtnDan
    AzDon:
    Welcome to the club!!! People have been too busy assuming that I represent all their negative stereotypes that they haven't paid attention to a thing I've actually said.
    I do believe that the government should have a mission to prevent industries such as oil, medicine, and the energy traders from racketeering, price fixing, or otherwise taking advantage of American consumers. We should be able to have complete confidence that our government is doing the business of government efficiently and watching out for the interests of ordinary citizen so our economy can remain healthy! [/QB]Right on Don, most of this makes sense - good for you (and thanks for making some of your ideas more clear).
    Let me add one more thing - the government's primary job is (today) to make 1000% certain that a blackout of significant size NEVER happens again!
    There is NO EXCUSE for a blackout this big to happen and EVERYONE in government should focus on finding out why it happened and make sure it never happens again! They need to stop thinking about their own pocketbooks and their own benefits and take care of their constituents! US!

eliminatedsprinter
    AzDon:
    I do believe that the government should have a mission to prevent industries such as oil, medicine, and the energy traders from racketeering, price fixing, or otherwise taking advantage of American consumers. We should be able to have complete confidence that our government is doing the business of government efficiently and watching out for the interests of ordinary citizen so our economy can remain healthy! [/QB]AzDon
    Don't get me wrong on this response. I'm not trying to pop off and be a smart a$$. But if you believe all of the above, why on earth would you support the Democratic party? They support what you say you oppose and they have not historically been any better at watching out for us ordinary folks or any less beholding to big biz than the Rebulicans. Esp now. Todays Democratic party has no resemblance at all to what it was 30 years ago...
    [ August 15, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

mickeyfinn
    MagicMtnDan:
    AzDon:
    I do believe that the government should have a mission to prevent industries such as oil, medicine, and the energy traders from racketeering, price fixing, or otherwise taking advantage of American consumers. We should be able to have complete confidence that our government is doing the business of government efficiently and watching out for the interests of ordinary citizen so our economy can remain healthy! Right on Don, most of this makes sense - good for you (and thanks for making some of your ideas more clear).
    Let me add one more thing - the government's primary job is (today) to make 1000% certain that a blackout of significant size NEVER happens again!
    There is NO EXCUSE for a blackout this big to happen and EVERYONE in government should focus on finding out why it happened and make sure it never happens again! They need to stop thinking about their own pocketbooks and their own benefits and take care of their constituents! US! [/QB]Not saying that I disagree with you Magic but I do know a little about the power industry. If the cause of this blackout was truly due to the grid being overloaded then be careful what you ask for. The only way to make 1000% sure that this never happens again is to:
    1. Build enough power generation capacity to power the entire connected load to the grid.
    2. Pick some factor of reliability and design to it.
    This all sounds good until you look at what it entails.
    The problems with these are:
    1. A high percentage of homes and businesses have more load connected than will ever be used at the same time. Almost all large industrial facilities are this way. To design to this standard would mean that the power companies would be required to provide generation capacity to supply maybe as much as 150 to 200% of the maximum demand ever seen. This is a HUGE capital expenditure and would have very significant effects on the entire rate structure of the power industry
    2. Picking a level of reliability to design to. Maybe that number is 120% or 150% excess generation capacity in order to assure that power is available even if large generation stations are offline for some reason. This would be on top of excess capacity in #1 above. Again this would be a HUGE capital expenditure.
    What you have suggested sounds great, but I don't know that the people in this country are ready to fund it.

AzDon
    eliminatedsprinter:
    Todays Democratic party bears no resemblance at all to what it was 30 years ago... Exactly! and I believe that Mr. Clinton wanted to do things for the American People that made economic sense, but was thwarted by all the nasty partisan politics and special interests he was trying to battle (like the AMA on healthcare). I would prefer to see a candidate that is not a "Great Society" throwback, but someone that has at least as much imagination and ideas about how to straighten out the financial problems as I do, and the abilities to communicate and work thru these things and get a consensus to achieve the goals.
    I also believe that the Republican party has been hijacked by NWO types that love the idea of deficit spending to the brink of bankruptcy and NAFTA type trade policies! I was a Republican back in the days before freespending Reagan hijacked the party and "fiscal conservative" actually meant Republican. I don't vote stereotype, I vote for the candidate that best represents what I think government should be whether he's Republican or Democrat. I believe some of you guys would do well to investigate Mr. Bush's positions on issues of importance to people and ask yourself if you are a person or one of the entities that Mr. Bush holds near-and-dear before deciding to blindly elect him to another term. If I truly felt he represented my interests, I'd vote for him, but his record shows he cares nothing about people!

twistedpair
    Your kidding yourself if you think any politician cares about you. You are a vote, a number, an opinion poll. He (or she) will do what they can to appease you so they can get elected and pursue THEIR agenda. The elephants just happen to throw their appeasement efforts at things I care about, like guns and gas and the ability to use them where I damn well see fit.