Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevy 4-bolt main conversion under $300

GofastRacer
    Hey Gofastracer!!
    I was looking over your photo's on your web page?? (Parker ski race) I noticed you have a few pictures of a Ford engine Twin turbo>>>
    Do you have any info on the engine, builder, owner??
    Thanks!!!
    Sorry, don't know anything about it other than it's one clean piece and it ran great!..

obnoxious001
    Hey Gofastracer!!
    I was looking over your photo's on your web page?? (Parker ski race) I noticed you have a few pictures of a Ford engine Twin turbo>>>
    Do you have any info on the engine, builder, owner??
    Thanks!!!
    My guess, without seeing the photo you mentioned, is that it would be Billy Mason's boat. Does it have stacked intercoolers? If that is the one (probably boat #275) he does his own engine building.

Blueoval
    My guess, without seeing the photo you mentioned, is that it would be Billy Mason's boat. Does it have stacked intercoolers? If that is the one (probably boat #275) he does his own engine building.
    Yes that's the engine!!! Looks as if it's a jet boat!!! I'd like to find a Ford builder on the west coast that really knows what he is doing!! I like John Kasse but he is East coast. Thanks for the help

smokinflatties
    somthing to think about

BrendellaJet
    This isn't a new operation. My jetboat motor that was rebuilt in the early 90's had this done to it...

v-drive
    Is this an accessory for the mill, or a homemade deal? Pics?.........Ray
    Worked in a friends machine shop part time and didn't realize why it was such a long reach to loosen the collet until I stood back and looked.
    It's pretty basic and if you had a lathe big enough you could build one.
    I have also seen them on e bay from time to time...v-drive

DaveA
    Fiat,
    Have you found out anything interesting about the Dart and the 427 w/the girdle once you cracked them open??
    Just wondered.
    DaveA
    I want to enter this food for thought.
    What do 4 bolts do for the main cap? Do they keep the main cap from walking? No. Maybe they help if splayed but they dont help with straight.
    Using main studs does not stop the main caps from walking either.
    Since I never saw a bbc main cap actually break....I have to wonder what converting to 4 bolt caps really does for me? Is it possible this is more cosmetic than structural?
    I understand the resale value of a 2 bolt engine vs a 4 bolt. And for that reason alone would not consider sinking a bunch of money in a 2 bolt motor.
    But if the main caps are walking around....transferring metal from one surface to another and changing the dimensions of my critical line hone....I have to ask myself what am I solving (except for etticut) by going to 4 bolt caps?
    Would it not be better to dowel pin the caps? How about a girdle?
    These are questions in my mind and have been for many many years. What I have seen is the more hp....the more the caps walk regardless. Perhaps shortly I will have a little more data. My current engine runs high rpm and is splayed cap (but it is a Dart). Now that it has run 3 seasons it will come apart
    and be inspected.
    Also a 427 was fitted with a girdle and it has been run hard all season and it will come apart also for inspection. Maybe some data there.

Fiat48
    Fiat,
    Have you found out anything interesting about the Dart and the 427 w/the girdle once you cracked them open??
    Just wondered.
    DaveA
    Yes sir I have.
    Morg's motor....the 427 N/a alcohol deal.....no sign of cap walk and all the bearings were perfect. I attribute this to the girdle since before the girdle there was cap walk plus the fact the motor since the girdle makes more Hp and turns at least 500 more rpm than it did before.
    My Dart I have not got to work on yet. BUT:
    A 541 N/A Dart motor I built about 3 years ago has come back for a blower upgrade. This thing runs about 7500 rpm in a flat.
    That motor is apart now and no sign of cap walk and all bearings are perfect on that one. It's a splayed cap deal (not billet caps and using original Dart supplied main cap bolts) Scat 4.250 stroke crank, eagle steel rod and 14.8 compression.
    Also just completed a 521 Ford 2 bolt deal and did a girdle for that. But I prolly won't see that one back for a couple years.
    Also you might want to read this thread:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148270

Fiat48
    If someone's entertaining the conversion (worth it or not) make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing. I had it done by REX Racing Engines in Sacramento and they ended up raiseing my crank .020 closer to the cam. Chains dont come in .020 so you need a gear drive with smaller idlers. It was a big surprise when my new motor blew in short order, I tore it down and found a sloppy IWIS chain...
    Prolly because they could not find a set of caps close to your originals. Caps are not bored nor created equal. This is one of the reason I shy away from converting to 4 bolt caps. With better aftermarket blocks out there and what it costs to build a motor today....I say go aftermarket block. There are just too many advantages than to mess with 30 year old plus BBC's not to.

GofastRacer
    Heck, I remember picking thru 10 sets of caps to find some that were decent so it wouldn't take a massive line bore make them work!..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast