Thread: AFTER MARKET EXHAUST or NOT?

2prop
    Hey guy's my boat has twin 350 mags with stock Merc. exhaust ,would it be worth putting on say CMI or Stainlees exhaust,will i gain any substansual hp increase, any reply is helpful,,,,,thanks

audiophan
    From what I've been hearing:
    10-15hp+ a piece on those engines, at most
    Basically the worth comes later when you add a blower your motor. If you don't plan on adding any mods that will increase exhaust than its not as helpful as one might think.

Too Old
    I've always heard that there isn't a lot to be gained with aftermarket manifolds on stock small blocks.
    I would recommend you send someone like Bruce at WPM an email. This guy knows engines and gives great honest advice.

cigarette1
    WasssUp Fred
    My feelings for aftermarket exhaust is simular to adding custom wheels and tires to your car. A set of Hi-po tires may help you a little but they sure look sharp.
    Aftermarket exhaust makes you want to open your hatch at the dock. And besides, if you ever plan to make some performance upgrades, usually the exhaust comes first.
    G

Too Old
    Gary, you are right. Nothing looks better than opening the hatch and seeing that polished tubing.
    And it's always just a matter of time before intakes, heads or any other known performance mod start dancing through your head.

INDY27
    GO FOR IT! IF YOU ARE PLANNING ANY UPGRADES AT ALL THEN DO EXHAUST FIRST,IF NOTHING ELSE YOU WILL ENJOY THE LOOKS AND THE NEW SOUND OF YOR BOAT.
    HELLO FRED!

jafo
    2prop-
    I don't think you'll see too much gain on stock engines, but the aftermarkets sound SO much nicer than the stock ones. It will set you up for mods in the future.
    I installed EMI Thunders on my Formula 242LS's engines (these are modified 355's) and was quite impressed. It's worth it just for the great amount of weight you're throwing out of the engine compartment.
    Shoot Steve Snider an e-mail... he's in Machesney Park,IL and is a distributor and can get you a great price!
    fastboatmarine@hotmail.com