Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving west. Suggestions? Warnings? Thoughts?

flyinbrian
    I am currently located in Central Ohio. We average more rainfall than Seattle, Washington and have three to four decent months of boating. I am looking outside my office window and see sun, but know that it's 49 degrees out while it's 1:00 in the afternoon on October 23rd.
    All of my hobbies need sun and 70+ degree temps to enjoy properly. #1 of course, being boating.
    My job situation looks like I may be one of the many getting cut in an upcoming layoff. I am looking at this as an oppurtunity to go somewhere I can enjoy my hobbies more often throughout the year.
    I was thinking Florida, but they are constantly battling with bugs the size of small children. Alligators at the sandbar doesn't sound very cool either. Also the humidity can be unbearable.
    This leads me to Nevada-Arizona-California area. We all have snakes. You guys don't have the bugs that we deal with. Lots of sun and heat. Hmmmm.
    What am I missing here?

Back To Havasu
    The only thing you are missing is money. If you can bring it with you, or make it anywhere, you are on the right track. I live in So Cal, but have owned homes in Lake Havasu City Az. (24 years)and Las Vegas, (5 years). The skinny, in my humble opinion is that Havasu has the most incredible boating scene and water, but hard to make a living there, and it is isolated from major cities. 115 degrees in the summer is common. Vegas has Lake Mead, and there is always something fun to do 24/7, and money to be made. However, Lake Mead is prone to be very rough when the wind is up (as it usually is), and there is less socializing on the lake than Havasu. Finally, California, where I live, has perfect weather, lots of money, and a fun place to live. However, housing is expensive, and you drive 250-300 miles to do your boating if you want more than a puddle to float in. Good Luck

spectratoad
    I live in Nevada. Reno to be exact and would recommend Vegas. I will move there after the kids are grown up ot they don't like thier mother anymore and want to live with me. I like you enjoy most things in warm weather and Reno only has about 4-5 months of that. Like Back to Havasu says, Cali is expensive, Havasu job market is slim. Vegas is close enough to Havasu for weekend jaunts. the housing market is reasonable also. Good luck.

TripleThreat
    In my humble opinion. Northern Cal...namely Redding is perfectly situated for the outdoorsmen. 3 Lakes... Whiskeytown (10 min), Shasta (20 min), Trinity (1 hr). The weather gets a little warm in the summer, but that is just more of an excuse to go to the lake. A living here can be made, and Redding is growing well. Plus the fishing the Sacramento is bar none!

VitaminSea
    Do it! I was born in SoCal, have lived around the world including in Las Vegas for ten years but love Orange County where I now live. Las Vegas is great but I finally got tired of the heat for 4 to 5 months straight. Love Havasu and keep my boat in dry storage there. It takes me 3 1/2 hours to drive to Havasu not towing. Welcome to the Wild, Wild, West. Cliff

kcm21
    I am totally biased but Socal kicks ass! Vegas is a fun place to party but way to much self control for me to live there. Reno is pretty cool also way laid back, Nor Cal is cool but it doesn't compare to the sights and scenes of socal, the best around plus Havasu is only 4-5 hours! Best sights anywhere on any lake!
    -Kev-

Jordy
    I'll chime in here as well. Vegas is a good time, but Mead can be ocean like. The weather is very similar to Phoenix. I lived up there for a year. But, it would take a whole lot of incentive (read $$$$) to get me to move out of Phoenix. Lots of nice local lakes within 45 minutes of my house. Great weather pretty much 10 1/2 months out of the year. Mid July and August are the only really bad ones, but it's hot so you go to the lake. The job market is still pretty decent here. The housing market is very reasonable. I bought an older house, on half an acre of horse property, 1800 sq ft. in the middle of N. Phoenix, close to a freeway, about 15 minutes from Downtown for under $150K. Try that in California. It's 3 hours to the River or the Dunes or even the ocean in Old Mexico. I guess I'm just kind of partial.
    Jordy
    [ October 23, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

burning cole
    I have lived in SoCal for 26 years, with a short stint in New York (4 years). If you have the job that allows you to live here then you will get nothing better. I to have thought about moving. Arizona would be my choice. A fast growing city, close to the water, nice weather, very affordable housing. If you like traffic, socal is where its at. I can do my job from any state, but Arizona is close enough to Cal, to be able to come and see freinds and family. THE HOUSING MARKET HERE IS UNAFFORDABLE!

XTRM22
    It's already too crowded out here, stay where you are at! j/k I've lived in Az almost all my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Phoenix is a huge city with all the ciny amenities, Tucson isn't near as bad, but the wages here are a little lower, and the nearest boatable lake is 90 miles. Good Luck
    Chuck

flyinbrian
    Keep them coming people.
    I like what I am hearing.
    It's nice to sit and read some opinions from people who live in these areas speak about their likes and dislikes.
    My job field allows me to work anywhere-
    Although, I would try anything new if an oppurtunity came about.
    I have a close relative in SoCal-
    I am not a big fan of traffic-
    I suffer from road rage
    Phoenix and Las Vegas are on my short list.
    SoCal would be om the list too, but the cost of living looks to be too high for me to maintain my current lifestyle.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast