Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least 100 of my students lost their homes in the SD fires

TheEduKATor
    As most of you may know I am a teacher in the Scripps Ranch area, one of the areas hardest hit by the San Diego wild fires. So far the count is at least 100 students have lost their homes due to the fire in Scripps Ranch. For those who didn't loose their home they were evacuated and had no idea if their house was still there until late last week. Today was my first day back at work with the students and it has been hard. Students have been breaking down left and right, there is not a dry eye on campus. To top it off, the damn News people won't leave. We are trying to make the school a sanctuary and place of comfort for the students but we have News people trying to sneek on to campus to get an interview.
    I've worked at a school were students have been killed due to gang violence, suicides, car accidents, but nothing compares to this. It's amazing the 100 plus students who have lost everything are in better shape than I would be in. The sadest part was when the students come up to me and ask, Mr. V do you think I could have some paper, pencils, pens, and a notebook, I fogot to grab my backpack on my way out of the house before it burnt down. Then other students came up and said please don't be mad at me but I left all my work for your class and every other class inside the house before it burnt down, am I going to get graded down for losing it.
    I was struggling with what to tell the students but they are actually coming up to me and telling me their stories of escaping basically with what they had on their backs. Students who were at home alone with no car while mom and dad were gone had to flea on foot carrying their cats. I'm not done with my day yet I still have 2 more periods to go and I am affraid to hear how many more students lost their homes. Football players who lost uniforms, cheerleaders who lost theirs as well. It's been crazy today to say the least and I have one student who lost her boat in the fire and her parents wanted me to paint some letters on the back of it. My heart goes out to all those who have had to go through this ordeal and may something good come out of all this mess.

hot_diggity_dog
    Originally posted by TheEduKATor
    As most of you may know I am a teacher in the Scripps Ranch area, one of the areas hardest hit by the San Diego wild fires. So far the count is at least 100 students have lost their homes due to the fire in Scripps Ranch. For those who didn't loose their home they were evacuated and had no idea if their house was still there until late last week. Today was my first day back at work with the students and it has been hard. Students have been breaking down left and right, there is not a dry eye on campus. To top it off, the damn News people won't leave. We are trying to make the school a sanctuary and place of comfort for the students but we have News people trying to sneek on to campus to get an interview.
    I've worked at a school were students have been killed due to gang violence, suicides, car accidents, but nothing compares to this. It's amazing the 100 plus students who have lost everything are in better shape than I would be in. The sadest part was when the students come up to me and ask, Mr. V do you think I could have some paper, pencils, pens, and a notebook, I fogot to grab my backpack on my way out of the house before it burnt down. Then other students came up and said please don't be mad at me but I left all my work for your class and every other class inside the house before it burnt down, am I going to get graded down for losing it.
    I was struggling with what to tell the students but they are actually coming up to me and telling me their stories of escaping basically with what they had on their backs. Students who were at home alone with no car while mom and dad were gone had to flea on foot carrying their cats. I'm not done with my day yet I still have 2 more periods to go and I am affraid to hear how many more students lost their homes. Football players who lost uniforms, cheerleaders who lost theirs as well. It's been crazy today to say the least and I have one student who lost her boat in the fire and her parents wanted me to paint some letters on the back of it. My heart goes out to all those who have had to go through this ordeal and may something good come out of all this mess.
    Thanks for doing what you do EduKator.
    The strength you give them, is what will help these kids get through this tragic event.
    HDD

MRS FLYIN VEE
    That is horrible i am deeply sadened for their loss. i feel for all of you. may this all be turned around some how and bring something brighter for all the people who have lost something. Do they have any one on campus that these poor kids could talk to. it sounds to me you are the one listening to them and i praise you for that. but one man could only take so much. you may need some yourself. God bless everyone there in need .

Jbb
    If the school system cant give them supplies, I will. Tell me where to send a check...Where were teachers like you when I was in school...?

TheEduKATor
    Jetboat Brian,
    we've just found out that Office Depot will be donating a truckload of school supplies, but no word on backpacks as of yet. The community has responded greatly. I have never seen this much outpouring of help.
    MrsFLYING VEE,
    We have a 2 person crisis intervention team that has been assigned to our campus of 2,400 students. I know that one member of the crisis team is a parent of a parent of a student of mine. This counselor couldn't even talk to staff members that were affected without her breaking down in the process. I think the students are confiding in me because they feel comfortable and the lines are too long to see the crisis team.

summerlove
    These kids are looking to you for support and comfort. It seems like the kids realize that their teachers can help them in more ways than the 3 RRR's. Stay strong for them and they'll be fine - kids are so darn resilient - I wish we adults were the same! Thanks for being there for them. it sounds like you're a great teacher!
    Now, with that, remove your "I think I need a new job" thread, because I think you just found it!
    Originally posted by TheEduKATor
    Jetboat Brian,
    we've just found out that Office Depot will be donating a truckload of school supplies, but no word on backpacks as of yet. The community has responded greatly. I have never seen this much outpouring of help.
    MrsFLYING VEE,
    We have a 2 person crisis intervention team that has been assigned to our campus of 2,400 students. I know that one member of the crisis team is a parent of a parent of a student of mine. This counselor couldn't even talk to staff members that were affected without her breaking down in the process. I think the students are confiding in me because they feel comfortable and the lines are too long to see the crisis team.

Keithb87
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Ok, I don't want to sound like I didn't learn anything in school.. but what the hell is the 3 RRR's??
    RD
    Reading, Riting, Rithmatic

SchellSchock
    So what can we do???? I have donated money this week and I am not sure what would help,.....but, if I am even 10% accurate about the make up of the people on these forum's, Someone will organize what is needed and the majority will help. I will support however I can.

summerlove
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Ok, I don't want to sound like I didn't learn anything in school.. but what the hell is the 3 RRR's??
    RD
    David, David, David...
    Don't you remember the 3 R's?
    Isn't it River, River, River!
    Actually, KeithB87 has it right - the funny thing is, that's not how it's spelled. Oh well, that the school system for ya!

Keithb87
    Originally posted by summerlove
    Actually, KeithB87 has it right - the funny thing is, that's not how it's spelled. Oh well, that the school system for ya!
    I know. It's Reading, wRiting, and aRithmetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast