Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help identifying motor and jet

Keithb87
    My Uncle-in-law was getting 72 MPH out of a OMEGA 454 with that same jet.

pops1
    ------
    Slip n' Slide [/B][/QUOTE] You Guy's are Wild- The Catalogs you have kept "Blow Me Away"- Good Job.
    I had that motor in my first AMC Javilin 2 seater coupe, with 4 on the Floor, the car caught everyone off guard in its release the next year it was destroyed in looks and weight. It was a strong runner back then. Also it became the only engine available to the Brickland or DeLoran as GMC backed out of providing the engines, not sure which way it happened.

hey pops,
    I remember those Bricklins. Schuster bought a bunch of them when they first came out. Maybe he traded boats for 'em, I dunno, but they were a pile of crap. None of them ever ran right,
    and he was always having them worked on. Doors would't close right, and the doors seals (gull winged doors) never sealed either.
    Car had zero quality contol when built, and that's one of the reasons the thing flopped.
    You're right, they did have AMCs at first, but switched to a 351 Ford after the second year when AMC couldn't keep up the demand for engines. I guess AMC was on it's last legs too at about the same time?
    I think he bought them for a future investment, couldn't give them away! ouch

Jet City
    That AMC/Panther combo may not be extremely exiting, but it should be a very reliable unit. I have no idea what power level that 360 has but back in '71 AMC made a car you may recall, an "SC/360 Hornet", those little cars ran hard and I'm sure surprised a few unsuspecting Chevy/Ford/Mopar guys. The AMC 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 and 401 are of the same design (a lesson Ford could have learned). There is a special section on banderlog for Panther's that may be helpfull.

Originally posted by Jet City Rebel
    [B] The AMC 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 and 401 are of the same design (a lesson Ford could have learned).
    You mean like Fords 352, 360, 390, 400, 410, 427 and 428 FE's. Or Fords 260, 289, 302, 351 small blocks?
    You're right about the amc/panther combo. I've never met anyone that didn't like that little set up that had one.

LakesOnly
    n/m

I ran into a guy at one of our local lakes that had the same engine/pump combo. His boat wasn't quite as deep a V as the one you bought, but he was pulling skiers all over and claimed (if memory serves) 58 mph. He'd done a little work to the motor but it was still a single carb and through transom exhaust. I saw him stomp on it pretty good one time and it seemed to get up n go pretty alright. Couldn't swear to his claim of 58 mph though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12