Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the old timers

johnny2slick
    Does anyone remember a guy who used to race drag boats in the early sixties named Larry Schwabenland? ..And if so, is he still around?

72 superlite
    Drove the Sanger Factory fuel boats, Climax tfh and Jokers Wild bff. Came up here in the early 70's and drove miss vancouver, ( or something like that). I still have his paddle he gave to me after the handle split. I was probably 5 at the time. Anyways I think he is still involved at V/m custom trlrs in Ca. Was involved in tech for IHBA until a few years ago.

RaysonKid
    OLD TIMERS???? ouch
    Yes, Larry is still around.
    Last I heard was more into Harleys.
    Billy B probably knows him.

Warlockjer
    I remember meeting him at the SF boat show years and years and years ago. It was to me at the time like meeting a movie star. Loved to watch Climax at the Oakland drags. I know, my age is showing

Stab-n-Steer
    Larry "The Shoe" Schwabenland was bad to the bone! He is one of the few top drag boat racers of his time to survive. He attends boat racers reunions occasionally. I watched him at the Oakland Stadium in the late 60's and early 70's... I guess I am officially an old timer!
    S&S

VESSEL ASSIST
    I've seen him at a few street rod events.
    That's been a while but he was pretty into em then.
    Not seen him in a while now, hope all is still good.

johnmiller
    I talked to him last year in September. He was still working for V/M trailers in Fresno. He said he was going to the Sanger get-together near Merced that weekend.
    I was buying some trailer parts from V/M to repair a customers trailer. I had a technical question about the trailer so they had me talk to someone. That someone wound up being Larry. I told him my name and he remembered me, then he told me who he was!!! I was shocked!!! Needless to say we talked about the old days for about an hour, forget the trailer!!!! Great man, and a joy to talk to.

Rattle Can Lou
    Coolest Cat you would ever want to meet. In the seventies he had that real cool hairdoo. Looked like Roger Moore. Worked with him at the San Franisco boat shows for many years. My Dad was a Sanger dealer. When you say he was lucky to survive that era, that is an understatement. He was into a Central Valley Vette club a coupla years ago. Would love to see him again. Mike Minegar

mfrey
    I saw Larry S. at the Sanger Reunion last fall. Bob Garner was selling some posters from the 70's at the reunion...so I bought one and had Larry autograph it for me. I felt like a little kid again and he got a kick out of it too. He joked about not having signed an autograph in about 30 years! He is a class act and unfortunately we don't have many of the "stars" left from that era.

Another old timer here. Used to watch him at the Oakland drag races in the seventies...
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast